• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The ultimate professional canister filter for aquascaping

I think you cannot much improve on the Oase Biomaster filters, it has an easy to clean pre filter, heater inside the filter, Safety features, (even professionals make mistakes), lots of space for medias of your choice, i dont know what else any body could have the need of. Filters work full stop. We dont need all the bells and whistles which are basically pointless, just a filter that filters. Lets hope manufacturers dont start going down the reef route.

What it all boils down is not the aesthetics but whether it does the job properly. That is all the fish care about!
Not many of my fish have even seen the filter apart from 2 curious weather loaches who went on an expedition when i forgot to put the end on my inflow pipe

Perfect filter for me should:
1 . be completely silent. No matter the size, a filter should NOT be heard. Full stop. Not in 1 week not in 6 months. Never. Not because you have tilt it right and left etc etc. Ok maybe after a few years due to things being wore down. Most filters I have had started making noise within less than 6 months. Oases and Aquael included. Eheim here is a winner.
2. Manufacturers. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Advertise the approximate flow of your canister full of media. Not empty. I don't see why I need to make calculations just to figure out if the flow is the one I need. Or at least make the customers aware that he will basically lose 50% of the flow after filling your canister...
3. Pre-filter. All filters nowadays should have pre-filters inclued. Well at least the bigger sized canisters. Understandably this is not feasible in smaller canisters. Kudos to Oases and Aquael for having understood this. I do think Aquael's pre-filter is still better than the one of Oase which clogs way too fast and needs some hacking to lengthen maintenance. Some improvement could be done on both though.
4. last but certainly not the least: RELIABILITY long term. None of the filters I have had are reliable long term. When we build cars 40-30 years ago they could last many many years without hardware maintenance and spare part changing. That's all what companies care about nowadays, selling you stuff so they create products that last less. Programmed obsolescence if you will. I hate it profoundly.

Agreed, however, using the car analogy, parts are cleaned and or replaced during servicing, how many people dismantle their filters and clean, or replace (worn parts), when cleaning (i don’t), rubber feet will harden with age, bearings will wear
I have just replaced the impeller and ceramic shaft on an Eheim 2217, as i checked the shaft for wear, after a rather noisy start following previous cleaning
It’s silent now, it’s only now that a realise that the barely audible hum, that i have heard for some time, was due to wear

Back