• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Smiler

MrB15hop

So, some of you may remember last month, when my little boy and his friend decided to be super helpful, and dump 2 tubs of food into my Superfish Home 60, while I was away for 2 days working.

My wife did her best, but the scape took a bit of a beating.
In fairness, it could have been saved with a few hours of replanting, but, much like a petrolhead that's crashed their pride and joy, it wouldn't have been the same...to me at least.

Here's the last nice shot I have of it.
It never got a name, and as it was my first proper attempt at scaping, more of a test bed, it never got a journal either.
20180224_232845.jpg

It didn't even get the trim that it needed when I took this.

So, onwards...

Having already convinced myself that it NEEDED re-scaping, I picked up 3 bits of azalea root from P@H, and a few extra pots of plants with the idea that I was recycling the old scape as much as possible.

I had originally intended to use 2 bits of driftwood that I had spare, but after staring at them for a week, I couldn't see past the slight colour difference in them, so I went for the roots instead.

Stripping down the tank took an absolute age, but I managed to get all the plants, and the remaining fish into my holding tank, along with the filter and heater, and get them comfortable for a few days.

In the spirit of recycling, the substrate came out in 3 separate buckets.
1 mostly soil
1 mostly gravel and slate chipping
And 1 of a really sludgy mixture of all of the above and the majority the remaining mulm. I cleaned off the first 2, and ended up binning the last one. (After I'd taken a few handfuls to build up the rear substrate)

I played with the general scape for a few days. I knew that I wanted the big piece coming around the big stone, but I couldn't get it to sit right. In fact, the more I tried to pull the whole thing to the right, the more it looked awkwardly centred.
20180404_221713.jpg
20180407_013015.jpg

I got to the point of changing it all up, trying different angles and whatnot,
As I was moving things around, it ended up at an angle I'd already discounted, smack in the middle of the tank, but, somehow it worked... I had that flash of inspiration, and then this happened...
20180408_024550.jpg

Admittedly, I'd had a couple...
And the Samsung S8 Camera doesn't offer the depth that you get in person,
but, I sat back for quite a while, staring at the little stick man smiling back at me, complete with stick arms out for a hug...

Now I will say, that the rule of not centering was niggling in the back of my head the whole time, so my compromise came in the form of a void.
From top to bottom, there is about an inch void, dead centre. It doesn't take things out of the centre line of sight, but it eases my mind knowing it's there...sad, I know.

Also, the shape and height of the substrate was primarily dictated by the soil and stone mix that I was recycling.
I had the sand and gravels already, so used those to be able to push it all back a bit, I was still struggling for depth though, so I also took a little inspiration from Juris and George's recent video from Juris' place, and kept the sand as low as possible at the front.

Onto planting,
I used as much of the Monte Carlo as I could, the rest was kind of algae ridden, as were most of the other plants in some way or other.
Around the front stones went some crypt Parva, and through the middle.
Behind the bigger left stone there's some Blyxa, but it's not looking great at the moment, and then directly behind that there's a blend from the Monte Carlo, through Crypts Parva and Nevelli, and some Lilaeopsis Brasilienis, up to the bigger Crypts behind the wood (essentially acting as hair in my vision), those are a blend of Kasselman Brown, Wendtii Green and Brown, I think there's another one or 2 in there too, but I can't find all my old plant cards.
Moving to the right, behind the big stone, there's a blend of stems, Rotala Rotundafolia, Rotala Wallichii, some Hygrophila, and some Clinopodium Brownei. I'm just going to see how these do, let them grow a bit and pick my favourite...

In front of the wood, at the base, there's a few portions of Anubias Nana Bonsai and a pot of Bucephalandra sp. Red, flanked by some Taxiphillum Barbieri (Java Moss?)..

Over to the right hand side and I was running out of ideas, and plants, but I knew I had to house the filter and the heater, so I had to leave some space. (Hence the problems moving the scape rightwards)
Anyway, as I was tinkering with ideas I managed to put the last feenplants close enough together to create the sort of bushy effect. There's an offcut of my Anubias Nana stuck on a small stone, some lobelia cardinalis, and some limnopholia sessilflora, all surrounded and blended with the remaining smaller Crypts to bring it back down to the front.
I pinched another tiny sprig of Anubias and stuck it to that stone...
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't stand quite so straight, but I think it adds to the whole,
Cartoon, Stick man, not so serious scape vibe...

All planted up...
20180408_180821.jpg

Attachments

• 20180408_225655.jpg
    20180408_225655.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
And Flooded
20180408_225655.jpg

And to finish..
2 days in, complete with cropping, auto colour correction, and Margaret, who sadly can't be housed in my other tank with all the other fishes...Cos there's a sparring partner up there already...

20180410_000513.jpg

Anyway.

Thanks for reading.
Hopefully there'll be plenty of updates as it grows in.
All the plants are starting to stand up properly already, so I'm happy enough so far.
Feel free to leave opinions...

Cheers
Adam

Thank you.
Yeah, I can sort of see it in my head...
Hopefully it'll work out....they have a habit of taking their own direction though.

Day 16

The inevitable white fluff on the wood has pretty much run it's course now.
The CO2 has been back on for a week, and everything seems to be responding...some well, some a bit slower..

I've removed the Rotala Wallichi, and replanted the Rotundafolia a bit further apart in an effort to get a bit more light through the area. It seems to be transitioning nicely...All the stems had started to peek over the stone already, so should only be another week or so before they're doing that again.

Had a few Crypts and buce leaves melt, and a bit of Monte Carlo, but all seems to be steady now.

Pic from last night's water change. Auto adjusted according to Samsung's theory of photo....

20180425_092018.jpg

Realised that I hadn't set out a proper kit list, so...

Tank: Superfish Home 60
Filter: Superfish Aqua100 internal (supplied with tank)
Lighting: Built in LED
CO2: CO2 Supermarket adapter for disposable cylinders and Nano diffuser hanging off a Dennerle Evolution Quantum regulator (pressure reducer) On 24hrs.
Ferts: theAquascaper Complete and occasionally some Excel.

The Reg is my favourite part, cos it was a fiver... :D Which helped me build my CO2 kit for less than £50.

In the spirit of being on a budget, the whole setup above has cost me around, if not less than £200.

Next upgrade will be the filter...
I'm on the lookout to do that as cheap as possible too.. probably a 2nd hand filter... my LFS has had some Lily pipes gathering dust on the reduced shelf for at least 6 months...So I might try and haggle on them.lol..

Think that's all for now.
Thanks for looking.

Adam.

For cheap but good quality inflow and outflow pipes look at the Viv glass or Hinterfeld stainless ones, I've been surprised at the quality or them considering they are pretty cheap

Thanks guys. :D

Tank looks good did u see the 2 Can filter on here for 65 quid look like there in good shape

Nope, I've not seen the for sale section. ..yet..
I think I'm only a couple of posts away now though..

There's been a few locally for about £30 recently, typically they appear at times when I'm brassic... Ill get there eventually.
It's almost proving difficult to find 2nd hand filters with flow as little I'd like, but they are about...

Go to the forums tab scroll down the list and u will find the for sale wanted and swap section always loads of good stuff in there but have to be fast to get what u want most of the time

Thanks for that.
I'll have a look as soon as the forum will let me. Iirc the post count needs to be 25...So this post might tip me over enough....
We'll see.haha

Yep, just checked faq, 25 posts, then about half hour wait for server to update..

So I'll have a look shortly...

Update time!!
So, a lot has happened recently...
A few big life things have hindered maintenance for the last few weeks. There's been a fair bit of grunge and algae, and hydra... :-/... I've managed to get it just about under control again, and I'll be fair, most of the plants seem to be doing pretty well.

About a week after my last update, I picked up a Fluval 205 from Samjpikey on here....got it home, installed it.. runs like a dream, except, moving the filter out started a slippery slope....
In the name of budget, I ordered some Lily pipes from Wish at the extortionate sum of £7.20... :D . Some of you will wonder about quality, and I'm sure the expensive ones are amazing, but, as an upgrade from the grey plastic pipes that come with the filter, the look the shizzle....and, they work.. which is a bonus.
I fitted them up, and decided that still wasn't good enough, So I hit YouTube, and watched a king of diy video on external heater...
So I built one...

I'm so happy with the way these upgrades have changed the tank it's unreal. :D

Onto the plants ...
The Blyxa almost died off....but it's hung on, and is starting to pull itself together..

Other than that, the crypts look great, the moss went berserk, and I had a lovely copper coloured leaf emerge from my newly acquired buce 'green velvet when I cut back the moss.

Before and after the trim on Sunday, which would have been day 39...

20180611_001605.jpg

After.

20180611_021911.jpg

As always, comments welcome.

Adam

Back