• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The sails

Post trimming picture

32746482262_61d05a1047_b.jpg

Hi all,I assumed it would be a Fig from the roots. I had to look this one up, and it is the <"Jamaican Cherry">.

cheers Darrel

I had a chance to go back to where it grows on few days ago, and carefully looked at its leaves, roots. You're right about it. It's a fig. Sorry for my misleading

Finish my reading few weeks ago. It's a good read but leaves me more questions. Any suggestion about similar books for a dummy like me?

I go by this tree everyday. The magic thing about it is there are ripe fruits. So it must be pollen wasps somewhere

38a9e8f0f7b75bb517c53b68ea466601.jpg

Ah this is a photo update

55f2105f591c88706c71ffccb1f556ac.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like some kind of terrestrial fissidens...got some on my tank too

Moss must be number one plant for hardiness. I had a piece of root in my garage which must have been there bone dry for God knows how many years, definitely more than 5 anyway. It was a nice shape that fitted into my current scape so I gave it a good going over with a wire brush to remove a lot of the dead bark which brought up some nice looking grain underneath. Soaked for 48hrs before putting in my scape about 12 months ago and it's now starting to fill out with Moss. I didn't want any Moss so I spot dosed it with Excel which turned it grey for a while but now it's making a come back.
I've gave up on it, if it wants to stay that much who am I to argue with it :) looks like I'll have to incorporate it into the scape some how.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Moss must be number one plant for hardiness. I had a piece of root in my garage which must have been there bone dry for God knows how many years, definitely more than 5 anyway. It was a nice shape that fitted into my current scape so I gave it a good going over with a wire brush to remove a lot of the dead bark which brought up some nice looking grain underneath. Soaked for 48hrs before putting in my scape about 12 months ago and it's now starting to fill out with Moss. I didn't want any Moss so I spot dosed it with Excel which turned it grey for a while but now it's making a come back.
I've gave up on it, if it wants to stay that much who am I to argue with it :) looks like I'll have to incorporate it into the scape some how.

Can you take a few shots of it and post here? I would love to see it

Sorry for the picture quality but I only have a phone. As you can hopefully see the moss which was greyed out is starting to green up again at the edges. I'm not a fan of moss really as it tends to clog up with debris and I'm always conscious that I may end up siphoning out any shrimp that might be grazing in there if I try and syphon the debris off so decided not to use any in this setup but sod it. I'll see where it goes. :)
32c468004a13da1633083357937251b2.jpg
ca941ec9559e12d96c0e5aeb66dd3bb9.jpg

I trimmed off almost everything. This is season change, and summer is finally over. My plants will grow up and generate new leaves in next couples of month

Last week I took out one of my crypt to see how it adapts to aquarium environment (strong flow, less light and nutrition). Overall it has less curvy, more transparent and thinner leaves

875035990ca8e3871a3065e672128d33.jpg

811dfa19d665fc1974c5b6d70836f17b.jpg

Yesterday I bought more shrimp from LFS. They are local shrimp. I am not sure if any expert has named it. This species has black trips along its white body. They are also perfect cleaning crew. They eat most of popular algae even Cyanobacteria. I can tell they clean brown diatom even better than otto
This is their picture during water acclamation
543dda429ee737e5b3f71748cd90b25e.jpg

Yup, that looks like tiger shrimps to me. Haha. It is quite expensive here and all of them I bought last time died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all wild caught and very cheap. I paid only nearly 20 pounds for 500 and fyi they are only for sales during summer

This is my tank after 3 day trimming. My trident ferns, on the right hand side, are growing back after trimming two months ago

e4c0e73ac759606297e0b8f9a1658d7d.jpg

And here is a closeup of local shrimp. Their origins are from a mountainous area near Thanh Mai pagoda, Hai Duong province, Northern Vietnam

af1c7cf25813e53f9c33baacf2b3c903.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Come visit Hanoi Aquarium and back home with little portion of terrestrial moss. We often call it star moss. This is tricky moss, few have successfully grow it submerged while other fail. Let’s hope the force be with me

a826d1fff33452994e5f61bf7b38913c.jpg

Back