• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The office wabi

TOO

My office wabi that has been left more or less to its own devices. All initial plans have been lost somewhere along the line, but I am a big fan of the UG lawn and the very nice flowers they produce. The Buce skeleton/achilles in the last photo is another favourite: amazing leaf structure. It is growing steadily, but slowly. I expect when I retire (in 20+ years) it will be a magnificent specimen. It is the only plant that I am certain that I will also have next year. Considering turning the tank into a buce only emersed collection.

29859594575_69fd5dc0e6.jpgDSC_0457[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

29776849291_e0af795966.jpgDSC_0451[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

29566356920_0acb338235.jpgDSC_0456[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

29746010642_806b245e13.jpgDSC_0454[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

29232345094_3da8357c14.jpgDSC_0453[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

29746039142_c81f4f165f.jpgDSC_0452[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

:thumbup: Wonderful! How long did it take for the utricularia to flower.. I read in can take up to a year maturing before they do.. I also have some growing emersed for about a year now but yet not rewarded with flowers.. :)

Wow the UG looks amazing! I'm hoping to grow some plants emersed. Will the plants grow if the substrate (Aquasoil) is constantly wet or do you have to spray the plants to keep them moist? Do you trim them to promote growth or just leave it to spread?

Wonderful! How long did it take for the utricularia to flower.. I read in can take up to a year maturing before they do

Thanks! I started the WK about a year ago. The Utricularia started by melting completely and I thought it was a lost case for me. Then after some months it suddenly came back alive and started spreading. However, it was not until I started adding some fertilizer to the water I supply occasionally, that it began looking as lush as it does now. It is interesting what you say about the flower - I think I saw the first only some months ago, so more or less conforms to the observation you report. They get quite a decent amount of light with 4 led strips.

Wow the UG looks amazing! I'm hoping to grow some plants emersed. Will the plants grow if the substrate (Aquasoil) is constantly wet or do you have to spray the plants to keep them moist? Do you trim them to promote growth or just leave it to spread?

Thanks! Yes I only keep the soil constantly wet. As said above I use water supplied with fertilizer. I almost never spray (only sometimes to clean the leaves of dust), but this is only possible if you keep your lid more or less closed to maintain high humidity. In the earlier phases I ran it only partially closed so perhaps only 60% humidity. Very few of the plants really thrived under these conditions, but improved when I closed the lid almost completely. About the UG I have never trimmed it, but occasionally I thin it out a bit to keep it away from the front pane and to leave some room for other plants.

T

Thanks for the info. Sorry to go on but I really want to try something like this myself. My aquarium has a glass lid with a gap either side around 2cm each side left and right and then a couple of mm at the front and back to allow cable access and feeding. Would I have to close these gaps with cling film or something - would you say it is too open? or would this gap be small enough to keep in humidity. How much of a gap would you say that you have to allow around the edge for air exchange? Hope you can advise?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Sorry to go on but I really want to try something like this myself.

Nor worries, I appreciate your interest. Forums are all about sharing information.

I think you would do alright with the lid you describe. I would try to start out with that. In fact it is good thing with some gaps to allow circulation (I also have some gaps around the rim). You should expect though that your glass will get some condensation, even with the gaps you describe. When you want to watch you can just wipe it off or take the lid off.

I also should say that humidity requirements are quite species-dependent. I have plants that I now have growing in an open jar in room humidity. But many of the plants in this wabi, especially the Rotala indica, the crypts, the buce, and the UG seemed to be less happy before I closed the lid.

T

Thanks TOO for the info - really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm hoping to start a new setup in the next month so I'll give it a go as you've described and tap you for advice again if I get stuck if that's okay.
:happy:

Good to hear. Yeah, feel free to ask any question - and keep us updated on progress.

Do you have ideas for planting?

T
Just trying to find plants that do well emersed, that are compact and flowering would be a bonus. That's what I like about your setup - it's so detailed. What are the plants in the image DSC_0454[1] (4th picture down) - is it a kind of Hair Grass? - the tall looking plant - it looks like its about to flower or something. I also like the picture below that DSC_0453[1].is that some kind of Rotala on the right? and what is the plant in the foreground? It all looks so good together - inspirational :clap:

What are the plants in the image DSC_0454[1] (4th picture down) - is it a kind of Hair Grass?

This is Helanthium parvulum "broad leaf" (if I remember correctly). Yeah, the stalks there look really cool, like tiny bells. I am nor really sure if they are flowers (maybe some more botanically wise could chime in), because they have been looking like this for probably six months.

I also like the picture below that DSC_0453[1].is that some kind of Rotala on the right? and what is the plant in the foreground?

Yes, it is Rotala indica (formerly known as Ammania "bonsai"). One of my favourites, also submersed. The other one is Lobelia cardinalis "mini".

And yes make sure to go for small plants, at least if you aim for a minimalistic set-up. Possibilities are almost endless. I also have some Eleocharis "mini" in there now. Love this plant.

T

Helanthium parvulum "broad leaf" - not heard of it before (not that I have much knowledge - using the Tropica Website as reference most of time :happy:) is it an aquatic plant or is it terrestrial? Think it really looks good with the other plants. Can't find it on Ebay but not ready to buy plants yet anyway - still sourcing all my hardscape boots and pieces. Hopefully it'll turn up when I'm ready - looks the business. Your Close-up photos are really helpful. Thanks agin for posting

DanDanio :thumbup:

Back