• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Mangrove

That's great looking wood. I like the vertical arrangement a lot too. We don't get much heather here in the US; does it sink well or is it one that takes a while to waterlog properly? Have you considered using some emersed growing vines to get the roots-dangling-in-water look? Pothos are supposed to be good for that and I think living roots would lend a realistic look to a biotope. As for the leaves, I've used all of those in aquaria in the past with no harm done. Looking forward to seeing progress of this one.

That's great looking wood. I like the vertical arrangement a lot too. We don't get much heather here in the US; does it sink well or is it one that takes a while to waterlog properly? Have you considered using some emersed growing vines to get the roots-dangling-in-water look? Pothos are supposed to be good for that and I think living roots would lend a realistic look to a biotope. As for the leaves, I've used all of those in aquaria in the past with no harm done. Looking forward to seeing progress of this one.

Heather normally sinks within a few days in my experience. It's a lovely wood to use, goes a bit soft after about 12-18 months but breaks down very slowly considering how thin it is.

Just filled the tank just now. Got a bit of floaty wood which I'll need to bed back in in a day or two but not too serious since I've no plants being uprooted :)
I don't currently have a blackwatet setup sorry Tom. Must be someone else with same name :( I used to have a small blackwater with rummynose and gouramis, had pencilfish in a non-blackwater community but not now :/

Just filled the tank just now. Got a bit of floaty wood which I'll need to bed back in in a day or two but not too serious since I've no plants being uprooted :)
I don't currently have a blackwatet setup sorry Tom. Must be someone else with same name :( I used to have a small blackwater with rummynose and gouramis, had pencilfish in a non-blackwater community but not now :/

Oops, wrong Claire then, sorry!

Some update pics. Excuse the internal filter. It's cloning bacteria to the new external.
Stocking is 3 German blue rams, 7 columbian tetra and 1 L008.
20131115_123533_zps2ff47bda.jpg

20131118_205320_zps73b3d874.jpg

20131118_205146_zpsb6bd6ae5.jpg

20131118_205103_zps5b181083.jpg

20131118_205028_zps69d0f49c.jpg

I've no algae issues yet so that's good. I'm hoping to add maybe some e. Tenellus or dwarf sag soon which will help, and I have salvinia natans in another tank which I could add if needed. :)
Cheers Ian. Was just taken on my phone so I'm pretty chuffed. Taking the slr back with me tonight though to hopefully get some better shots as colours aren't quite as vibrant as usual with phone pictures.

Is that pretty similar to sag? Had a quick look online and it looks quite like it.

No fry survived - I think the columbians picked them off as they are determined and voracious feeders. I'm not bothered though. I have achieved what I set out to do which was to create something easy to maintain and natural in appearance. The only work I have to do on the tank is the weekly water change and feeding of the fish. Algae is pretty non-existent, only a tiny bit of diatoms on the glass which is easily wiped off with a cloth at water change time.
I will try and remember to take some updated photos tomorrow now that it has some plants. They just finish off the whole thing :)

Back