• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
we dont! most people lower co2 levels before adding fauna then adjust back up over a few days once their settled.
if you are going to add them, add them before co2 comes on and your around to take emergency action if levels are too high

Yeah was going to wait until I am at home all day so sunday morning might be a good idea .... hopefully I can find my test kit in the meantime

PS I know not to add to the tank when there is high levels of Co2 going in, I just meant in general terms as in having a high tech tank ;)

I'd put a couple of shrimp in and watch them for the day. If they stop moving about for long periods of time there is something wrong. If they look happy even at peak levels of co2 then I'd add the rest next day when co2 low again.

I'd put a couple of shrimp in and watch them for the day. If they stop moving about for long periods of time there is something wrong. If they look happy even at peak levels of co2 then I'd add the rest next day when co2 low again.
Im going to do it on sunday morning when I am off work and can add them early and let them acclimatise before Co2 comes on at 2pm and then I can intervine if I see them struggling. I dont want to mess with the Co2 and will have to lower the injection rate already and it could set me back with problems I dont want.

Had so many issues recently with the dreaded white scum from the new wood getting all round the tank and delaying the growth. Also had the light too high but have it 15cm from surface. Only got amanos in tank so far but im making sure growth is correct before adding fish
20150523_161251_zpsfwg4epba.jpg

My dragon stone are giving off a serious amount of dirt and this is the tubing and lily pipes after a week since they where cleaned(see below).
Water also clouds up alot from time to time so I think that is why my growth is slower than it should be. Thankfully everything is growing but it would be much better without so much dirt which is im sure covering the leaves. Would purigen help with this?
My army of amanos are doing a great job and today I purchased 6 young bristlenose plecos to help with the cleaning.
Is this new growth from my microsorum tridents? It pulls away very easy so was thinking it some sort of algae
20150530_181906_zpsny1nsyh5.jpg

1 week since cleaning and adding new filter wool
20150530_184816_zps2bamh1dh.jpg

Dragon stone requires some serious cleaning, I have spent hours and hours with a set of bottle brushes and hot water slowly cleaning out every single hole one by one. It is a really time consuming process, I still need to go back to the pieces I am going to use and give them a third clean. It always looks like you have it all out when they are wet, then once they dry you realise there is more mud in there. It's well worth doing though, there is a huge amount of mud in those holes, many holes will go right through from one side to the other, so you can imagine how much mud is in just a single hole. If they are not clean, they will leach mud for ages I would have thought. The other advantage of cleaning them through is you actually end up with a far better looking piece of stone as it opens up some really interesting patterns in the stone.

i ended up taking my ast load of dragon stone to the jet wash. some bits were just loaded with red/iron clays and mud. took ages to get it clean. i've sworn not to use it again. i've not used the stuff from ada just cheaper alternatives, i wonder if the quality is the same across the board.

I haven't posted in a couple of months as my tank has not went the way I had wished, mainly down to the leeching of the dragon stone. I will be removing the rocks in the coming weeks and possibly the sand aswell and going for a carpet along the front.
Front view
20150821_212046_zpsw1hwyjyl.jpg

I got a surprise when I noticed some riccia growing in my tank. Must have been on some plant that I bought

20150821_212227_zpscc7menrs.jpg

Some things are going well such as the riccia and growing weeping moss above the waterline
20150821_212237_zpsruapeup1.jpg

Crypts are all doing from starting off in vitro
20150821_212258_zps7vfynrgh.jpg

I got 4 sae's to control bba which had got pretty bad. They done a good job!
20150821_212328_zpslp9ozmvu.jpg

Got some bristlenose plecos to help with the algae and hopefully breed when mature
20150821_212341_zpsblwcj6ib.jpg

Back