• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The journey begins...5 weeks in

Markmark

After reading so many inspiring journals on this forum I thought I should include you all on my latest adventure. I have to warn you all in advance that this will be a slow builder and may not really get going until after the madness that is Christmas.
So far the tank is purchased and the stand under construction.

Tank is 90x45x45 optiwhite 10mm glass which is a thing of beauty. It was on display @ TGM and is ex display but in cracking order now ive given it a little clean.( lets hope James findlays magic can rub off on me)

Lighting, co2 and filtration will be carried over from my existing 45 litre tank which consists of the following-
150 watt aqua medic metal halide
Fluval 205 ( have an extra 205 so will run both on new tank)
Pressurised FE Co2 with glass diffuser

Having a dilemma over substrate and layout at the moment. Leaning towards an Island scape using ADA soil and powersand. Man that stuff is expensive but is it worth it?
shall get some pics up as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks for reading and stay with me on this one as I will be needing your help and advise along the way

Re: The journey begins...

Ada soil is worth it if you can afford it. Akadama bonsai soil is supposed to be good also and is really cheap.
I'll keep tuned ;)

All depends on what your budget is.
as Callum said, if you can afford the ada soil then go for it, if not, then akadama is also very good.
there is loads of chose from, its just what you prefer.

Pics can be uploaded on any pic hosting site and linked with the img tags. I use tiny pic and they provide a link to copy n paste into your posts.

The topic of substrates and value for money comes up frequently so there's plenty to get your teeth into if you have a scan through the substrate forum.
Me i'm tight, :D Cat litter all the way now. :thumbup:

007wbj.jpg

Just the doors to make now then undercoat tonight.

Ok folks its up and running at last. Its been a while in the making but I think its been worth it. Here is what has gone into this set up.

substrate
1x ADA power sand special s
1 x ADA power sand m
1x ADA Amazionia
1 x ADA Amazonia powder
old florabase to help bulk up the substrate

Redmoor roots and TGM blue stone

Lighting is provided by 150watt metal halide suspended at the moment at about 60m on for 5hours.
Filtration is an AP 2000ef on a spraybar return
CO2 is a 2kg FE on solanoid timer
Ferts daily using TPN+ and alternating with TPN
DIY stand
Plants consist of
10 pots Eleocharis Parvula
Good portion of vallis
1 pot of staurogene repens
Microsorum needle leaf I think?
Crypt wendte

Need some stems for the back and something for the front to mix in with the hairgrass. Any help or suggestions needed. Was thinking of some polysperma. Would also like some pogostomon erectus but not sure if it would work with the rest of the planting.
url]

Going to add my hydor inline heater and up atomizer to my old fluval 205 to give extra flow and better co2 distribution this weekend. Just need to drill the stand.

Looks like a promising scape Markmark!

Really like your homemade stand too, spot on.

Remember seeing this post a while back, good to see some pics. Nice one :thumbup:

j

Cheers. sorry for the poor image. Will get some more up over the weekend hopefully

Re: The journey begins...5 week update

Well I think its been around 5 weeks into this scape and at the moment Im very pleased. Since its initial stages Ive added some stems to the rear either side of the vallis to fill it out and create some contrasting textures. No idea what they are as the were bought as bunched stems from MH aquatics and they couldnt id instore.

Also in the last few days I have switched from 150w halide to AP 4x 36w t5. Fed up of illuminating the lounge.Also co2 is now inline via up atomizer along with heating through a fluval 205.

Vallis is out of control and Im thinking of removing altogether and replacing. Any ideas?
7051267433_a97bb1a0d3_c.jpg

Back