• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The great re-scape update

sh4d0w

Update on the Great ReScape.

Long post but do please take some time to read, my friends.

Drained the tank down and binned all the old substrate. Moved it into position and cleaned it all out, forgot how heavy this thing is!

Finally took the Chihrios wrgb pro out of its box after having it 2 months and was disappointed to see there was no retail packaging: Should I have a nice box and have I got a return?

So couple of questions, has anyone had any luck getting scratches out of glass? My builders have put a nasty 10” scratch on it externally and the unavoidable few light scratches internally, I’ve looked at the pastes and polishes but has anyone had good results?

My tank is braceless but does have a 3”-4”vinyl strip arround the top so I could remove it BUT. Do you think I could get away with the light where it is so I can put my lids back on.? To avoid open top evaporation or should I be looking to raise the light higher and add a shade.
Tank is - 100x60x60. (330ltr). I do have the Eheim plant light I could maybe add at the back or front to help spread, but will that be to much. ? Bloody bright aren’t they!! It’s still a bit of a building site here so excuse the mess but look how it lights up the room haha. For some prospective, the room is 87mtr2. (10m wide and 8.7m deep)

UV… has anyone got one on? I was sold a TMC vectron 600 when I first started out on my planted journey 2 years ago and having come from Marine I thought nothing more of it, it’s still in the box brand new! Is it worth while putting in the loop or shall I sell it for some plants 🙂

I have had to put my fish into temporary accommodation whilst I undertake this project, I had 60 ish 12 months ago but my tank has been neglected during this time due to the extension. I count just 22 😞 this makes me feel so bad!
To make things a bit easier, wifey is 18 weeks today and introduced baby to the fishes tonight.

Finally a question on Filters and heaters. I have an Eheim pro4 600 with bihome ultimate and foams in the bottom.
I’ve also just got a second filter, Oase 600 thermo.
I have a JBL in-line heater... should I use both heaters or just one, which one?
Which filter should I have my skimmer on?

Thanks for taking the time to read and double thanks for anyone that responds.

pS. Look out for another post for tank cabinet inspiration.

Peace and love friends.
94DC54F7-9FDB-472E-A1CA-E9339EA07206.jpeg
908DD112-8A29-44CC-8EF4-57163CE9EFA4.jpeg
75AE3F87-745F-4C2B-90FB-1DC388AAEFDE.jpeg
3DE691CD-A851-40F5-BFD0-157F0AB305F2.jpeg
10DE5A2C-D7B1-43D9-9A4B-DB7B711840A4.jpeg
230816EA-990E-4456-AC72-E8A54FA387A7.jpeg
0C6A8E43-AD6B-441D-8F68-C6AA9B61B4AC.jpeg
FC2266FE-BD1E-4FDE-B14E-31E072AE2F16.jpeg
882AC277-424A-4F80-B708-DA1F0B3158B1.jpeg
10DE5A2C-D7B1-43D9-9A4B-DB7B711840A4.jpeg
3DE691CD-A851-40F5-BFD0-157F0AB305F2.jpeg

There is a way for polishing scratches with cerium (or is it cesium?) oxide. But I would not recommend a layman attempting to do it.

The builders should sort the scratch! If you can prove they put it there... That's what they have insurance for :) Love the idea for fitting the light too! Sorry I can't help with anything else.
Trouble is, I can’t prove it :(.
And,… it could be argued that it was my own fault for leaving it my hall way when they needed to go upstairs every now and then.

There is a way for polishing scratches with cerium (or is it cesium?) oxide. But I would not recommend a layman attempting to do it.
Think I’ll skip this and just ignore the scratch then haha

As far as I know it is quite hard to do but that it depends on the depth of the scratch also. I found this video helpful.

Thank you. I’ll take a look.

In all seriousness, if you are having a baby I wouldn’t take this project on for at least another 18 months.
Hey! I need my escape too.
We have a 12 and a 10 year old already so more fool us for doing it all over again.

I’d use the heater in the Oase filter, that way you won’t need a filter in the tank. I wouldn’t use both heaters as you won’t be able to set them to the same temperature and one will end up being redundant. Two heaters only work if you connect them to one thermostat.

Don’t think it makes much difference which filter you have the skimmer on.

I’d use the heater in the Oase filter, that way you won’t need a filter in the tank. I wouldn’t use both heaters as you won’t be able to set them to the same temperature and one will end up being redundant. Two heaters only work if you connect them to one thermostat.

Don’t think it makes much difference which filter you have the skimmer on.
Never thought of that, the other heater is inline so will sit outside of the tank anyway.

Going to have the skimmer on Oase so will be easier to clean any floaters via the pre-filter

Back