• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Edible Planted Tank

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

Bit of a fun thought process the other day while musing about what we could grow in the garden at the new house....

With EI being great for super charging growth in our tanks i'm wonder if a scape of just edible (preferably nice tasting) aquatic plants would be like.

I've read that vallis is edible but does anyone know any others?

:)

I wonder if we could make a salad....

Best Regards,
John

I've read that Hydrocotyl species are used as herbs in S. American countries. Water cress is an obvious choice, if you're counting emergents.

I've read that Hydrocotyl species are used as herbs in S. American countries. Water cress is an obvious choice, if you're counting emergents.
I think i'd prefer our normal aquascaping type plants, ie ones that thrive in our tanks without having to use immersed growth or riparium set ups..

In an aquarium with life stock you need to consider bacteria and or parasites you might not want to eat.. :) If you are thinking of aquatic edible plants "in" your tank. I once had the same idea, like growing watercress in the tank because it tatsts so good on the salad. I looked it up and it seems that watercress for the food industry is grown under very strickt hygiene control in greenhouses. It isn't even recomded to grow it in a puddle, tank, bucket whatever without life stock in your garden.

Its not easy do disinfect crop you put on the sallad by coocking it or any other way.. And in water there can be bacteria which you might not be able to wash off so easly whit clean water.

Nice idea, but i tossed it after reading that article.. :)..

emersed is a different story and less dangerous and easier to control.

Reactions: xim
In an aquarium with life stock you need to consider bacteria and or parasites you might not want to eat.. :) If you are thinking of aquatic edible plants "in" your tank. I once had the same idea, like growing watercress in the tank because it tatsts so good on the salad. I looked it up and it seems that watercress for the food industry is grown under very strickt hygiene control in greenhouses. It isn't even recomded to grow it in a puddle, tank, bucket whatever without life stock in your garden.

Its not easy do disinfect crop you put on the sallad by coocking it or any other way.. And in water there can be bacteria which you might not be able to wash off so easly whit clean water.

Nice idea, but i tossed it after reading that article.. :)..

emersed is a different story and less dangerous and easier to control.

Yes, but I still feel uncomfortable thinking about eating them (submersed aquatic plants) uncooked even though they are not from my tank.

By the way, Blyxa Japonica is edible, according to:
ftp://taurus2.caf.dlr.de/put/leinenkugel/MekongBasin_thematic/Kosaka2006.pdf
(I looked at its Google's cache)

Australia they also eat fresh water shrimps, i had them before they are called something like Yabi's if i remember correctly.. Tasts very good. :)

Look for edible swamp plants, you find a nice list, there are a few. Trapa Natans (we call it water chestnut) makes nuts you can eat. But than you rather need a big tank.. Also Water mimosa, has edible roots they eat it in Thailand..

i've got so much blyxa at the mo....

But now i'm being put off by the parasites and bacteria chat......
:(

having just dealt with my first white spot outbreak in 15 years of fish keeping (don't know how i managed to last that long) i've got no desire to catch that or any other aquarium nasties ;)

cheers for pointing that out. :)

Maybe what edvet said.. :) grow salad above your tank..

Maybe what edvet said.. :) grow salad above your tank..

Maybe i could just keep the scape for emergencies...... aquascaping for the zombie apocalypse.... :)

with cherry shrimp to garnish my aquascaping salad.

Hi All, You can eat duck weed Soup :D

If we all started to eat bugs the world would never be short of food:wacky: Great source of protein:) Watch a program the other day about the swarms of fly's in Africa they collect them and make them into a paste then shape them into a burger shape.Then let them dry in the sun then fry them. Better for you than our burger chains or chicken ones. Biggest plus No rubbish left behind everywhere .

i've got so much blyxa at the mo....

But now i'm being put off by the parasites and bacteria chat......
:(
It may surprise you but my guess is that submerged plants grown in our tanks won't pass the minimum quality criteria for being consumed after the EU food standards... (Microbiological safety, nutrient traces, etc.). Maybe for emersed growth it could work. In other words, grown by yourself does not necessarily mean better o safer.

Jordi

I once did taste the Hormigas Culonas :hungry: they realy taste like salty peanuts.

Hi All, You can eat duck weed Soup :D

If we all started to eat bugs the world would never be short of food:wacky: Great source of protein:) Watch a program the other day about the swarms of fly's in Africa they collect them and make them into a paste then shape them into a burger shape.Then let them dry in the sun then fry them. Better for you than our burger chains or chicken ones. Biggest plus No rubbish left behind everywhere .

Someone was telling me about a midgie blasting machine that collected the dead ones in a sack which he then made (and sold) midgie burgers from at a festival up here..... :)

Bacopa caroliensis is edible and nice tasting (lemon flavour) and Limnophila aromatica is used a a herb on fish in Vietnam. I tried it and it doesn't taste bad either. Most Hydrocotyle are edible but not really tasteful. Eichhornia crassipes is also edible. Virtually tasteless but carotene rich;)

Back