• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The CHI(LL)

The new inmate
IMG_20170924_184843.jpg

It's amazing how the fins change colors depending on how much they're open
IMG_20170924_184800.jpg

IMG_20170924_184737.jpg

Renamed this journal.

I'm happy to report that the Betta is leaving the shrimp alone. They don't seem bothered by his presence and he leaves them alone.

I've seen him attack a small Malaysian trumpet snail, though.

As for tank updates... I clean the filter and trim plants about once a month, do a 30% water change every week, feed the critters daily... and that's pretty much it... trimming next weekend.
IMG_20171024_184321.jpg

Welcome to the jungle!
IMG_20171230_124121.jpg

I think I have a flower coming soon...

IMG_20171230_124646.jpg

Currently, I feed the Betta once a day, do a 25% Water Change a week, and clean the filter once a month. Ferts are on an Jebao Doser, and CO2 is very low and I don't even know if the bottle still has gas on it or not... probably ran out this week, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to replace the bottle or remove the CO2 all toghether.

I don't see many shrimp nowadays, not sure if the Betta is eating them, or if the snails are out competing them.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_124115.jpg
    IMG_20171230_124115.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 215
That sucks man... my condolences, he was a sweet betta.
Thanks! It was an awesome looking fish and also had a great personality.

Now as far as fish I can put in there... I had forgotten how limited choices there are for a 20L tank... :(

So my list of possibilities has 4 options at the moment:
  • 5/6 Ember Tetras
  • Pea puffer
  • Betta
  • 2 male Guppies

As amazing as Pea Puffers are, having to store live foods or give frozen food everyday, it's a bit too much trouble for me.
A Betta, as I found out, is not the ideal fish for this setup, as there is a bit too much flow in the tank, I had to let the vallis and the floating plants overgrow in order to constrict the flow enough for the Betta to be comfortable. So this leaves the Ember Tetras or Guppies... I'll probably decide when I get to the LFS.

Chilli rasbora are a good shout. Very small and colourful. I have them in my nano and they’re doing fine.

Do shrimps and breed them? :thumbup:
This tank still has Red Cherries. But since it's heavily planted, it's kinda hard to see them. They have survived multiple apocalypses in this tank and have kept going until now. I've started about 2 years ago and had CO2 killing all the fish twice, had a pea puffer for a while and this betta as well.

Galaxy Rasbora - beautiful fish
Chilli rasbora are a good shout. Very small and colourful. I have them in my nano and they’re doing fine.
These are great looking fish, but there's a problem... they both are schooling/shoaling and territorial fish (specially when breeding) so I would need to buy a few of them and either put them in a tank at least twice as big, or greatly overstock the tank to minimise aggression.
One of my first thoughts was actually the Celestial Danio (aka Galaxy Rasborra), but the territorial thing put me a bit off right away... in the end I tend to keep my aquariums slightly overstocked, so I may give them a go if I feel I'm up for a challenge!

I've decided to go with the puffer option.

The critters I used to feed the last one are pretty much still thriving in there... I've seen worms, water fleas, loads of snails, and if I get a smart puffer, it will get the assassin snails first!

I was going to say I’ve never hd aggression from my cpd’s But they are super shy so I wouldn’t recommend them

It's amazing how the fins change colors depending on how much they're open

I have always liked that characteristic of the colour blue in the animal kingdom. I watched a YouTube video on it and IIRC with only one exception there are no blue pigments in nature, so on fish like your beta it’s the shape of the surface cells of his skin/scales that disrupts the reflection of all other colours except blue in light as it bounces off the fish. That is why blue colours in animals often change depending on angle and often has a shimmering quality.

they are great, always find they inspect everything with their independent moving eyes; in between fighting and annoying one another lol
Last time I only had 1, so didn't see much of this natural behavior I'm seeing now, which is amazing! Stand-offs, establishing territories, and how everything else is ignored when there's food in the tank! :lol:

Back