• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The CHI(LL)

Just setting up my first planted tank since before children (B.C.). My youngest is now 2 1/4... and my wife still doesn't think I have the time!

Luckily my wife is understanding. And my daughter is 14. Hence the time to actually have hobbies.

Now I only need to find out how to approach the subject of a second tank.... :wideyed::nailbiting:

Almost 2 months after I got them, my Endlers are starting to breed... and I can now confirm that from the 9 I bought, 8 are females... :banghead:

I was able to see 4 fry the other day, but there may be some more hiding in the plants. I'll need to come up with a population control plan soon!

I haven't been able to make the Cherries breed... I definitively have at least one male and a couple females, but it is probably due to the high amount of NO3 in the tank, which I learned recently that can make them infertile.

So... I had to shut down this tank.

I went to buy some cheap Red Cherry Shrimp (in a final attempt to breed them) from a guy selling them on Gumtree. Got about 36 of them for £20, so great deal, but... in the bag there were also about 10 Guppies!!! o_O The guy just said "I'm sending you some guppies as an offer". I was furious!! How can someone give fish without even asking the person if they want them or even have a suitable place for them?! :mad:

I had big plans for my 2 tanks and they all went down the drain just because of this guy...

So, I had to move all the endlers to the big tank (and realized I have even more than I thought) and had to remove every single thing from the tank to be able to catch all the fry and the 4 adult Red Cherries I had left in it.

The only substrate I had available was ADA Amazonia Powder, and since it leaks a lot of ammonia for the first few days/weeks I couldn't use it. So all the tank has now is a bit of wood the Mini Java Fern and the head statue. The guppies are now in it and from the only one big enough to have colours it seems to be something like a Blue Japan Lyretail Guppy. This is the most similar picture I could find online:
8086457848_10a185e61a_c.jpg

I went to buy some cheap Red Cherry Shrimp (in a final attempt to breed them) from a guy selling them on Gumtree. Got about 36 of them for £20, so great deal, but... in the bag there were also about 10 Guppies!!! o_O The guy just said "I'm sending you some guppies as an offer". I was furious!! How can someone give fish without even asking the person if they want them or even have a suitable place for them?! :mad:

Ridiculous. If you'd want to buy an used aquarium here in DK, at least 50% of the listings is including fish. So you'd have to buy whatever the previous owner found awesome in their 3 week career as an aquarist. So, 3 lyretail mollies, 4 neonfish, 5 guppies, a goldfish and a clown loach.
Send them back?

"Hey, you bought these RCS, I'm adding some piranhas as an offer". Ridiculous.

It has new life a few weeks after the emergency restart... although the vallis I bough online didn't arrive in great condition... let's see how it's going to evolve...
DSC00316.JPG

Puff daddy is examining those shrimp?

I would've tried to give them on my local forums for free.
I did give most of them away after a while, I just kept a few males I liked. I was already keeping Endlers, it's hard enough to keep their numbers in check, and I also had plans to keep puffers in this tank. I just didn't want to recklessly give them away or kill them without a good reason to do so.

Puff daddy is examining those shrimp?
There are reported cases of pygmy puffers living peacefully with shrimp... I hope to become one as well! :lol:

He has lived with RCS since birth and so far has lived peacefully with them... I hope it stays that way when he becomes big enough to eat them. I believe puffy's parents also live with some RCS in their tank with no major casualties.

Nice work man. Good to see you progressing along since your start ?last year.

Call him "puff diddy" if he behaves but otherwise he becomes Puff Daddy.

After 3 week holidays...
IMG_20170723_102956.jpg

I just had a friend come over twice a week to feed Puffy some blackworms and small snails.

I came back to a jungle and the CO2 cannister was empty... had lots of tiny baby shrimp and Puffy was alive and doing great (and still not eating the shrimp). I'll post a post-cleanup picture when I get a chance.

Last edited:
3 months after the emergency restart... I did it again... adjusted CO2 before leaving the house for the day... and came back to dead fish... :banghead: :dead: RIP Puffy :(

Most of the shrimp actually survived... only removed a handful of dead ones after running the air pump for a few hours. Most babies seem to have survived.

Now I moved the Endlers back to this tank... because I don't like it when it's empty(ish).

So... I had to shut down this tank.

View attachment 107338

I guess that's one way to deal with overpopulation.

Back