• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The bee super highway

mort

Every year for about a week the front of our house sounds like a motorway with the hundreds, possible thousands of bees, mostly bumbles, buzzing all over our climbing hydrangea. It can actually be quite deafening at times but is something I love. We can't get away from it though as they are doing the same thing in the back on a massive smoke bush.
20180601_140751.jpg
20180601_140706.jpg

Also the ragged Robin was looking good

20180601_140836.jpg

And you can see it still stands out a bit in the middle this time of year before much else is blooming

20180601_140751(0).jpg

We have a Blue Tit nest box above the porch more often than not they nest every year but a couple of so years ago it had a colony of bumble bees invade it,spending a lot of time buzing in and out and down in our very small front garden. I got in touch with our local bee expert who said they were quite harmless and come September they would have gone with the queen. They were smaller than the solitary bumbles but fun to watch all summer. My kind of garden you got Mort

We have blue tits and blackbirds nesting in the hydrangea as it's grown quite thick. They come back every year apart from the one year some wood pigeons got there first. We have another pair of blackbirds and some sparrows nesting in the back garden as well.

Back