• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Barren [Oops little accident - Taken Down]

Re: The Barren

Been sitting hear for a few hours Filling in Job Applications.
Noticed for the 1st time that Pest Snails have been Gliding Vertically up and Down in the Water Column. How is it possible for them to do this without anything to glide against ???. Should have taken a Vid, will try next time i see them doing it.

sanj said:
Any orcs in there?

:p

Lol, orks no. Interesting Life yes.
This is by far the most interesting Tank I have done.
Watching everything in there in amazing.
The Shrimp sifting thru the debris and slate.
The Planaria zooming about the sides of the tank.
The daphnia reproducing in the tank from adding only 2.
Would like to add some ostracods to the tank aswell, the friend i got the shrimp from has plenty in one of his nano's. Although i have not checked the bucket of tank water i left in the garden in a week, might be some interesting life in there.
I wonder if Mozzies would predate on the planaria - spotted some nice and fat egg sacs earlier.

Also Noticed that from somewhere I have got Apple Snails. Spotted 1 last night. Have not had any apple snails in a few years, so who knows where it came from.

Got the new Lighting for it - Ikea Janso Led Desk lamp.
Good thing to, as noticed that the Boyu Clip is acting like an overflow and letting water drip out.
Did a Water change on this this morning.

40886_1631702314166_1284876833_31750349_7848251_n.jpg

Quick pic from the Phone, as Lost my Card reader.

Shrimp have cleaned all the slate so no more dusting covering the scape. Still looks good though, and the riccia is looking like clouds. One of the berried females is about to drop, so will see what happens with the shrimplets. Other Life is doing well, Daphnia are multiplying well and lots of newly hatched daphnia flitting about.

I am still enjoying this have and have resisted temptation to alter it in anyway.
Riccia has trebled in size and Daphnia Population is exploding.
Spotted lots of Shrimplets in the evening, so that is also a Good Sign of the health of this.

I am Contemplating adding a Fish to this, But finding one is Difficult to say the least. One of those
Indostomus crocodilus,Indostomus paradoxus. Would be perfect and as it feeds on tiny foods, The daphnia would be perfect

No Co2 no Ferts, Just water from spine W/C added after weekly siphon.
Feeding is: *3 Days Hikari Micro pellets, *2 Spirulina Tablets, *1 Day Blood Worms, *1 Day Either Sliver of Fish or Crushed Adult Pest Snail (deshelled).
Still can't find my Card reader, so no new pix.

Going to try and get some shots uploaded if i can find an old USB Leed that will connect to the Nikon.

Hi Gill,your hardscape reminds me of some of the hills around the Elan valley in mid wales,i personally think moss is the way to go in this setup, :thumbup: ,
cheers john.

I also think, that if such a thing exists, possibly some very small red plant's, as they will go well with the rock colour's.

While the wife went to a friends blitzed thru the house looking for the Card Reader. Found it in the Wii Accessories Box, Why she put it there I do Not know.

Took some pix of the Shrimplets.

021-1.jpg

066.jpg

031-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

042-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

And Also Does my Oldest Female look Odd or is it just the magnification.
051.jpg

Still Not Sure about using Moss, I have a few small shard in some green water, Going a nice green color. Just won't last long in the tank once the shrimp graze it.

Still Amazed by how effeciently shrimp devour a dead fish, Even a female guppy lasts only 1 Day before it is just Skeletal.

Went To World Of Water just now as needed to visit Cotton traders for some new Shirts.
Glad i did - Red Crystal Shrimps £4 each, Black Crystals £5 each, Horned Nerites £2 Each. They had loads of Red Nose Shrtimp but they were all on Deaths door. All had turned white.

Also I am Sure Someone in the Midlands/northants way was wanting some Electric Blue Rams, Well Rugby World of Water has them for £14 a Pair. And they might be Getting LongFin Morphs in Soon.

I decided to try some plants in this.
A few sprigs of Moss and 3 Sprigs of HC to see how I like it in here.

I think the shrimp would certainly welcome the addition of some moss in there :D

Thanks, So Far they have been Happy in the riccia.

Added Filtration to this last night, as increased the bioload with some Horned Bumblebee Nerites and the CRS. used the Azoo Mignon60 Set on the Lowest Setting, so to give very Minimal Flow.( So not to create a cloud of particles in the tank.

Also A tip for anyone who goes to World of Water Rugby - DO NOT get served by The old guy with a Moustache. He does not have a clue how to handle Shrimp or Fish when catching them.

Back