• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Art of Nature Aquarium

By comparing to the documentary videos, the layout remains authentic to design by Amano in 2013.

This is admirable and part of why those videos are a joy to watch. I know the plant choices lean towards easier long term preservation of the original concept, but to me that is simply good planning.

For newcomers to the hobby, if you’re attentive those videos provide oodles of instruction and because it’s on a larger scale it’s easier to pickup.

Absolutely incredible scapes - I love the way the fish school up in the open spaces - amazing. I was leafing through my Amano books the other day - it's interesting how his style evolved.

I can't even begin to imagine the maintenance on those though - I mean just trimming that carpet in the 7m tank would be a mammoth task.

It's also interesting how much we emphasize 'flow and distribution' on this forum, and yet there really can't be much flow at all on that 170cm deep tank.

Amano ran (advocates) lower light and lower water column nutrients.

You don't get a carpet like that with low lighting lol, besides, look at the amount of metal halide Solar 1's in the video:

1596526315490.png

One challenge of these giant planted tanks is maintenance. They have to do it in night hours when the aquarium is closed to the public, often not done until sunrise. Because of the human size height and width of the tanks, they often have to stand inside the tanks on suction cups on the wall and make use of special long arm tool to do the pruning.

Something l have wondered about on certain scapes CO2 straight to surface and little visible flow

Some ADA setups you see on video (from their gallery) have very low surface agitation along with low flow. Coupled with low nutrients lowering Co2 demand, you can get by fine. Better preservation of all dissolved gases that way but in tank evaporation becomes more of a factor in influencing your Co2. It’s more aesthetically pleasing viewing the scape without bubbles blasting everywhere, more calm. My understanding is Amano was an advocate of lifting lily pipes up at night though to increase surface agitation.

Anyone who’s turned a filter off (zero flow) and left a diffuser running in tank knows first hand that the drop checker still turns yellow rapidly. Suppose the dividing point here is dissolved gas and Co2 mist really.

Clean diffusers also produce fine mist but all we catch at a glance is the larger bubbles, especially on video rather than in person.

I can't even begin to imagine the maintenance on those though - I mean just trimming that carpet in the 7m tank would be a mammoth task.

One challenge of these giant planted tanks is maintenance. They have to do it in night hours when the aquarium is closed to the public, often not done until sunrise.

Thanks for the explanation makes perfect sense. And have noticed how ADA lift the lily pipes think it was on the Green Aqua visit to the NA gallery

That’s ADA’s way.

An easier way... a couple of 2 litre jugs, remove some water to drop the water level overnight, pour back in when morning comes around. Far less broken lily pipes from suction cups failing.

Thank you for posting the links to those videos, I have seen them all before but it was very good to see them again :)

Their content is timeless. This site has become heavily weighted towards scientific argument lately, which is great. However, thought the content list could do with something firmly planted in the art side for anyone new to the hobby. Bit of eye candy for inspiration.

That’s ADA’s way.

An easier way... a couple of 2 litre jugs, remove some water to drop the water level overnight, pour back in when morning comes around. Far less broken lily pipes from suction cups failing.

Their content is timeless. However, thought the content list could do with something firmly planted in the art side for anyone new to the hobby. Bit of eye candy for inspiration.

I would love to just go and sit and soak up the peace and quiet of the garden at Amano`s home, seeing his tanks all set up would be a bonus :)

Back