• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The 120 Peninsula

martinjcxn

Hello all

After a year in the making my 120cm peninsula tank build is finally getting underway. The idea is a hardwood and elephant stone heavy Nature style Aquarium that divides our living spaces.

ca64f225ae9873a42644e2a7bf00f5fb.jpg

So here are they basic details:
Dimensions - 120 x 60w x 45h (low iron)
Lighting - Skylight Hyperspot FL
Filter - Oase Biomaster 850
CO2 - CO2art Pro-Se and Ista CO2 reactor

The stand has been designed with a feature or two for make maintenance easier:
ec9c977090b119856369d38c98d131c1.jpg

And this is the other side of the view:

c68edf4fe84a6795b18d99f38072bfc4.jpg

(Note the trunking to the right of the tank for the next part)

Here’s the fun part though - I’ve created a smart tank controller using an ESP32 and the Home Assistant platform that allows me to automate and remotely control the following (via HA App or Siri):
1. Switching equipment on and off.
2. The CO2 schedule
3. Water changes and top ups
4. Dosing
5. Cooling fans (if the water temp exceeds 23)

There will be various 3D printed parts which hold sensors, piping and fans etc on the wall side of the tank.

Here is a pic of the controller (it still needs proper mounting in the stand):
3b2f708b3d67225a68ae9f0fa7d09f66.jpg

For those wondering about water changes:
1. There are two bins outside the house. One fresh water and the other for waste water. The trunking hides the wires for sensors, power and pipes that run to the bins.
2. Pumping is done by 2 12v self priming pumps.
3. There are various float switches (1 in tank, 2 in freshwater reservoir, 1 in waste water bin) that control the pumping out and in sequences. I am also testing contactless sensors.
4. The outbound pump is situated below the tank in the cabinet. The pipe then comes back out the cabinet and climbs up to enter the trunking. At this point there is a one way valve which lets air into the system (after the pump) and creates a siphon break.

Essentially, the WC will only start if the freshwater bin is full and the waste water bin is empty. The filter and heater will switch off and the water starts pumping. Once the waste bin is full then the freshwater starts pumping into the tank, stopping when the in tank float switch triggers. Thereafter the filter and heater switch on again.

If contactless sensors work, then the processes may change to one where water is pumped out and in simultaneously while equipment stays on, with equipment shutting off if water levels drop below a certain level.

The system is designed with smaller, regular 10-20% WCs in mind. It is also not something envisioned to run fully without supervision as things can still go wrong (float switches getting stuck etc) and dump litres of water on the floor. The idea is more to avoid my lazy self having to lug 150l of water around for a 50% WC.

Also, for trimming moss and clearing debris during weekly trimming and maintenance session etc I have a small canister which hangs on the tank and acts as an aquatic vacuum cleaner.

This weekend I shall be doing the leak test and mounting/ testing equipment.

I will certainly keep you all updated as I go.

Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to more updates on this one! Love a peninsula tank.

Also, I thought I was clever running a couple of plugs for my tank via home assistant, you're taking this to the next level. Are you going to be monitoring water temperature? That's the next thing I'd like to add to mine.

Also, I thought I was clever running a couple of plugs for my tank via home assistant, you're taking this to the next level.

How great is Home Assistant though? I have the benefit of a friend who has already dived deep down the HA rabbit hole and introduced me to ESPHome and ESP32 boards.

Most of the automations are written onto the ESP unit itself. So that it operates even if my HA server or WiFi goes down.

Are you going to be monitoring water temperature? That's the next thing I'd like to add to mine.

I’m going to add a temp probe which sits in tank. Its readings will then determine when the fan goes on and off, and trigger a warning if it drops below a certain level.

I’m more than happy to give you more details on the ESP units and setting them up if you want to explore this route sometime

Great setup.

Curious on more details on the controller system and how you get on with the contactless switches.

Yeah sure.

It’s an ESP32 board with 5 2channel 5V relays that can drive 240V through the relays. Then there are 2 power supplies - one 5V to drive the relays and ESP, and 12V to drive the pumps and fans.

Here’s a pic during development showing the ESP, relays, power supplies and pumps. What’s not visible is the float switches.

480d85a5f29c6f791ca383ea894bbc90.jpg

The ESP connects to WiFi and is programmed to do what you want it to do.

In my case, I’ll tell it which pins are floating switches, sensors or switches to trigger a specific relay.

It then appears like this in my HA (this is if I want to control something manually):
edb14ff74f7c6fa1f518c8b2847d03e9.jpg

Hope that help?

A quick Sunday update:

The next part of the work involved mounting the tank controller system in the stand, mounting the CO2 reactor (minus the reactor itself as it’s currently in use) and running the hoses for the lily pipes etc.

6f7945bd2cce27077516d68f14fcfc2f.jpg

The CO2 bottle will sit on the other side of the cabinet:

524890747d064881c134818776a6245c.jpg

And then finally a leak test in place. I’ll fully admit I’d rather do a leak test outside but I’d rather risk my floors than the tank itself at this point!

3b60098c6e8650b1bd447aadac21389c.jpg

So here’s hoping that the tank does not leak

If all goes well then I’ll drain the tank and start scaping in a few days time.

It does, thanks for taking the time to detail. What HA server do you use?

It’s an old Intel mini workstation or NUC that I had lying around.

Back