• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with The Green Machine's fishless filter cycling schedule using the ada substrate layers?

It seems to be a neat way to get around the daily water changes required in the first few weeks of setup if you are using ada aquasoil (the key being to keep the tank pitch black during this time with the hardscape and substrate already setup).

For those that aren't aware a screenshot of the schedule can be found below and is available in their 'Art of Aquascaping' book.

DSC_0375.JPG

Mine was cycled with Amazonia II and Amazonia Powder after 1 week. Heavily planted from day 1. Daily water changes around 50%. Filter had ADA bio cube (small sponge cubes) first, then 3 bags ADA NA Carbon, then an Eheim sponge last.

This is the approach ADA recommend but easily replicated with any other brand I would imagine.

2nd and 3rd week the same water change every other day.

Added Otocinclus and shrimp just under 3 weeks I think. Would have added earlier but had to get them shipped to me.

4th week water change twice a week, swapped carbon for bio media (eheim sponges, then seachem matrix once I got gold of it).

Then water change once a week.

Last edited:
Back