• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Textured Yoga Mat Under Rimless Aquarium?

Stykk

Hey Everyone, this might be a bit of a dumb question, but figured I would ask. I'm in the process of setting up a 140L rimless aquarium, and I have a spare yoga mat I'm considering using underneath it. However, it's not smooth like the mats that come with tanks (I accidentally ripped the one that came with mine, otherwise I would use that), instead it is textured with a bunch of bumps. Is this OK, or do I really need to find a smooth foam pad to put it on?

Attachments

• 20201019_110733.jpg
    20201019_110733.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 653
The mat that came with it was a real mess. It was taped on at the factory, but it wasn't even all around so I decided I wanted to try to correct that. But that tape was super strong and ripped the foam a lot as I took it off the bottom of the tank, pulling out chunks and leaving them in the tank. It was a real mess. Had to take a razor blade to the bottom of the tank to carefully lift up the chunks of foam and tape that were still stuck to it.

So I wound up getting that foam from Joann's Fabrics, and it is perfect. It feels like the stuff that originally came with the tank, just twice as thick. It feels much sturdier than the old yoga mat, much less compression. That yoga mat would squish flat between my fingers with just a bit of effort. This stuff is much better.

Last edited:
Back