• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetra Medica Aquarium General Tonic

Flossy

Seedling
Hi all,

One of our Gourami's was poorly so our LFS gave me Tetra Medica to treat the tank. It turned the water blue/green!

This morning I had a dead platy and all the fish are very listless, not eating and hiding in the plants.

I dosed as per the bottle but the fish are not happy and I'm worried some more may die.

Is there anything I can do? Is this normal while doing a treatment, some of them look like they're struggling for air. We have a 120litre Aqua Szut tank and I checked the water this morning, there was no ammonia/nitrate/nitrite.

I'm scared to look at them now incase I lose anymore fish! Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks Julian, I've already changed 25litres of the tank water twice today and have left a gab at the top so that the water coming out of the filter has further to fall back into the tank, I thought this might create more air bubbles? There was no warning of this on the packaging! It's supposed to heal the fish not kill them!.......Should I now just change about 20% of the water daily from now on until the treatment has been washed out?....or can I change the water more frequently than that? Thanks for your help, we're very new to fish keeping, didn't think it would be as stressful! LOL! D.

Yep, more surface agitation will help get more oxygen into the water. Just be careful it doesn't disturb the substrate too much. I'd try and do 25% water changes every day for at least a week. I'd get a bucket or something for the poorly fish and keep him in there with a heater so you can treat him individually. I'm not sure why the medication had such a bad reaction, did you definitely dose the right amount?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think so, it said 5ml per 20litres, we have a 120litre tank so we put in 30ml of the general tonic. We don't have a quarantine tank but I've asked my partner to buy some sort of air pump to put in to try and get more oxygen in there, do you think that will help or is it a waste of money? Thanks for your help. I'll ask him to get a heater today also.....although....I can't actually find the sick Gourami, I just hope he's in one of the plants hiding and not lying at the bottom of the tank dead :(

You dont need to buy another tank, literally a bucket or storage container with a heater will be fine. All an air stone does is oxygenate the water by disturbing the water surface, the bubbles dont stay in the water long enough to dissolve oxygen. If you've got a fair amount of rippling on the surface already, an air stone won't have much effect. Water changes are the best thing you can do right now, so buy anything that will make doing those easier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks ever so much for your time Julian, very much appreciated. Here's hoping the rest of our fish will make it through this! Denise

Back