• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetra ex700 runs @ 50%

Tonytony

Hi..
Is it normal that a filter sold to be 700 l/h actually output 360 l/h?

Explanations: I run the filter with only biological black plastic moss and no bioballs or ceramic noodles...the output is 1 liter per 10 seconds so 6 liters per minutes and then gives me a 360 liters per hour...
I tested also in bathroom with filter empty...same results

I purchased the ex700 to get as close a 700 l/h!!!!

Now, its no way I can return it..is there a cheap external pump I could add on the outflow tube?

Thanks guys

Don't know about the Tetra filters, but the APS filters are rated at around double the real- world turnover like you describe.

I think manufacturers just enjoy lying about lph.

The lph they say is measured on a horizontal plane and with an ideal hose size that generates the least friction with the water. In your case the pump has to cope with fluid height and with the friction inside the hose.

I went for the eheim compact + 2000 they are a good pump silent but start at 1000-2000 lph. Its adjustable mines been great and after a few weeks the flow will drop down to say 700 lph on the lowest setting. costs around £60

I looked hard and everywhere for a good external pump and this was the best I could find the rest were in the tank jobs that I really didn't want!

That's a rip off...as a customer I would expect more output that 360 lph in my tank especially if I choose a rated and advertised 700 lph...I'm using the tubes they provide and filter head is below tank at 40 cm only

60 pounds for an external pump is a pain...isnt there cheaper ebay ones?

Bound to be but I needed silent and quality which eheim can deliver. cheaper ones may be really noisy and soon let you down with flow. But your right it is a pain. I just had to bite the bullet.

"That's a rip off...as a customer I would expect more output that 360 lph in my tank especially if I choose a rated and advertised 700 lph...I'm using the tubes they provide and filter head is below tank at 40 cm only".

Im sorry about this mate but Im afraid this might be normal. If you want you can try and measure your flow horizontally and it should be quite near to the value they say. If its not you can have an excuse to return it.

It's perfectly normal. Misleading, but normal.

LPH quoted is straight out of the pump with no restrictions, even then I'm guessing they slightly exaggerate.

As soon as you add media, head height, hoses, bends, spray bars etc etc it will all have an impact.

I've lost 1500lph from my pump on head height, hose, a couple of bends and a mini 3 hole spraybar :(

Back