• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Testing for inmates?

I haven’t used test kits for many years. Once the new tank is cycled though and the lockdown is over I want to introduce some fish and wondering if I should test the water. I’m thinking that maybe at least a nitrite test would be a good idea but what do folks think?

Hi all,
Once the new tank is cycled though and the lockdown is over I want to introduce some fish
You just need to wait until you have plants in active growth, I like six weeks and some floating plants, but that is probably conservative. The issue with biological nitrification is always likely to be an oxygen one, so for the initial period I would try and ensure you had plemnty of dissolved oxygen, by angling the spray bar to give you a lot of surface ripple or adding a venturi. Personally I like the venturi effect.

If you would feel happier testing the water, then yes I probably would recommend testing for nitrite NO2-, mainly because some nitrite compounds are coloured and insoluble (the <"diazo dye assay">), meaning that you are more <"likely to get an accurate result">. Would I rely on it to tell me the tank was fish safe? No I wouldn't.

There are the same issues as with testing for nitrate, you need to make sure the reagents are properly mixed etc.

cheers Darrel

Back