• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Terrestrial plant id

Ian Holdich

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you could Id this for me...I have it growing in abundance in the garden. I'm unsure where it first came from. It turns a real lime green in the summer. It reminds me of outdoor riccia. It doesn't have a root structure.

8568691186_19abd7e701_c.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

8568691126_a9fc58147a_c.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Hi all,
It looks like a Cladonia lichen, but it is strange thing to have in your garden, as they are normally associated with very nutrient poor conditions on dead wood or peat and sands and often on heaths, mountains etc.

Is it in the lawn?

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
It looks like a Cladonia lichen, but it is strange thing to have in your garden, as they are normally associated with very nutrient poor conditions on dead wood or peat and sands and often on heaths, mountains etc.

Is it in the lawn?

cheers Darrel

Thanks darrel, it's not on the lawn, it's on the back where wood chip is. I'm not sure how it got there as it has only been there for a year or so. It must have been brought in by a bird (the feathered kind). If you want some give me a shout!

Hi all,
it's not on the lawn, it's on the back where wood chip is. I'm not sure how it got there as it has only been there for a year or so.
No that makes sense, probably came in with the bark left on the wood chip. The wood chip would tend to use up all the fixed nitrogen as it decomposes (wood has a very large C:N ratio), giving you nutrient poor conditions that exclude other "plants".

Wood chip often grows strange things, last year we had an outbreak of "Black Morel" (Morchella elata) on the wood-chip at work.

cheers Darrel

Back