• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

temperature rises at night??

bumcrumb

hi all,
i have a newattino heater which i don't think is working right.
it never seems to get to the right temperature in the day, max around 22 degrees?
i have a 10l tank and i think the heater is a 10w but it states the heater can heat aquariums up to 20l.
the other thing which i find really weird is that after the lights go out for around 2 hours (11.00pm) the temperature rises around 2 degrees more than it has all day!! right now its on 23.5 degrees.
i have a normal aquarium thermometer so i purchased a digital one which came this morning just to make sure.
any ideas why this is? and can it affect my snails and fish ( fish are on order for next week )
cheers
chris :crazy:

When you say digital do you mean the stick on strip on the glass? Just wondering because I find them very unreliable, the glass thermometers are probably more accurate in the water. I have both and when my heating is on in the house they never match but I always go off the glass one as this is checking the water its in rather than the surrounding temperature, it also gets affected by sunlight through a window onto it.

Small tanks are always erratic because of the small volume of water, temp changes happen quickly unlike larger tanks where a heater can break it might take a day or two for you to notice if the house is warm as most tropical fish live in temps just above room temperature.

Make sure that there's plenty of water from the filter flowing passed the heater to circulate the warmer water about and IME what the heater says it is set at is not always the temp it actually is just turn it up or down to suit regardless of what temp the heater itself is saying.

You could check the heater by putting it in a bucket of water somewhere cool and testing the temp with a thermometer when the light goes off but the water will need stirred about so you get an even reading. To be fair though its no major worry, at the end of the evening when my house is warmest and my lights are ready for going off my heater set 24.5 deg on the dial my glass therm will show 26 deg the stick on the glass one will be up there 27/28 deg.
The only time all three are the same is the next morning before the heating or any lights come on.

I`m not sure as to what the cause could be, but a temperature swing of 2 degrees C over a twenty four hour period is a non event to your fauna.

Dave.

hi all
well i have a glass thermometer but i purchased one of them digital ones with the sick that you put in the water and the unit sicks anywhere you want out the water.
i have the heater right next to the outlet which is a spray bar which i placed vertical so that's not a problem.
as for the heating in the house, we rarely have it on but if we do its on and off within a few hours just to get the chill off and its off by 5 anyway so its not that too.
anyone know if then fluval edge 25w heaters are any good?

Just searched your heater bumcrumb.

NeWattino Heater/Stat

Probably the smallest aquarium heaters in the world,
the NeWattinos are designed for aquariums between 2 - 20 litres.
Both units have reinforced plastic casings making them virtually unbreakable.
While the NeWattino constantly emits heat, the NeWattino Plus has a thermostat that is
preset to 26C.
It also has a built in sensor that automatically switches
the heater off when out of water and on again when re-submerged.

I don't know which one you have but neither of them sound like a reliable way of keeping stable temp :( but like Dave says a 2deg swing isn't going to cause any major probs.

If you just bought it try and swap it for a heater where you can manually adjust the temp.

Back