• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temp and pH with plants

andy

I'm about to convert my 100 gallon to a Discus tank and need to make a few changes to the water. Firstly, i need to bring the pH down to about 6.5 from about 7.3 and secondly, i need to raise the temp from 77 to around 82.

Providing this is done slowly, is this likely to have any adverse affects on my plants which are as follows

Anubias coffeafolia
Anubias pettite
Rotala Indica
Straight vallis
ludwigia sp
sagittaria nantans
crypt wendetii
red nymphaea
limnophylla aromatica
limnophylla sessifolia

All plants growing well, CO2 added, 2.5 wpg.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think your plants will handle the water parameter changes ok but, your Discus may take a fancy to most of them!!

Cheers Steve

sjb123 said:
Hi Andy,

I think your plants will handle the water parameter changes ok but, your Discus may take a fancy to most of them!!

Cheers Steve

Really ? Are discus plant eaters ? i've never kept them before but seen them kept in planted tanks before !!!

Ouch. Plenty of info in that link that is incorrect :sick:
The plants won't mind about the change in pH or temperature.
Do you really need to lower the pH to 6.5 from 7.3? CO2 will lower the pH by 1 anyway and getting your water close to the Discus supplier is seen as better than matching to a rule of thumb.

Steve....no probs. Thanks for the link, had a flick through but will have a good read later.

Fred...the shop that has the discus i like has a pH of 6.5 which is why i will lower it. Once the fish have settled, i might try to bring it back up very slowly to tap water pH.

Thanks guys

Andy

Back