• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Tell me about your high tech tank that has absolutely no BBA

zozo

Or are we getting to the conclusion that virtually no one with a high tech CO2 injected tank achieves that perfect end state?

That's a big fat maybe yes or maybe no... Because there are too many variables at play and algae (and fungus) spores are omnipresent. They are in the atmosphere as soon as you open and close a door or window you invite them in.

But if someone thinks to have the remedy and achieves to replicate the exact same result in each new tank consecutively then it would be a yes. Till then one swallow doesn't make a summer, nor a fine day. Not that I'm trying to be a sceptic here...

There might be some aquascapers that have some kind of intuitive commitment and virtuosic ability to see and predict and act soon enough to always be a step ahead. The devil is in the details, you only have to see it... I guess then it might be something similar as asking a high-class painter to explain how he manages to see and paint the perfect picture from the top of his head. Or ask a musician with an absolute hearing how he manages to hear what others do not.

Seeing that it is possible now and then keeps the hopes high up for everybody. Nothing wrong with believing and keeping to try to find that holy grail.
The only way to get there is to never give up searching and trying... :)

Yugang

That's a big fat maybe yes or maybe no... Because there are too many variables at play and algae (and fungus) spores are omnipresent. They are in the atmosphere as soon as you open and close a door or window you invite them in.

But if someone thinks to have the remedy and achieves to replicate the exact same result in each new tank consecutively then it would be a yes. Till then one swallow doesn't make a summer, nor a fine day. Not that I'm trying to be a sceptic here...

There might be some aquascapers that have some kind of intuitive commitment and virtuosic ability to see and predict and act soon enough to always be a step ahead. The devil is in the details, you only have to see it... I guess then it might be something similar as asking a high-class painter to explain how he manages to see and paint the perfect picture from the top of his head. Or ask a musician with an absolute hearing how he manages to hear what others do not.

Seeing that it is possible now and then keeps the hopes high up for everybody. Nothing wrong with believing and keeping to try to find that holy grail.
The only way to get there is to never give up searching and trying... :)
Generally agree @zozo (although I am not an BBA expert).

Frankly I was expecting at least several to shout out and say they have found the right (multi faceted) approach. For example, I could imagine perfectly balanced tanks (perfect plant health and maintenance, stable CO2, flow, ferts, balanced with light) and a high injection rate like 30-40 ppm. I remember reading (believe T Barr) that BBA will not thrive above certain CO2 ppm.

Anyway, so far indeed not a lot of evidence (or interest to say so) for the perfect BBA mastery in high tech tank (low tech different story). Makes me feel less of a loser while cleaning BBA spots with Excel :)

zozo

As said the devil is in the details... :) And if you search the net for threads about algae problems and look at the pictures. Then it becomes somewhat obvious that all start asking questions when it is problematic and actually already far too late. That includes me, I sometimes find algae in my tanks and then think where the hell did that come from and why didn't I notice this sooner?

The ones able to see it sooner and act before it becomes problematic you never hear about. And I guess seeing it and acting upon it way ahead before it becomes a problematic scenario is a commitment that comes intuitively.

Similar to, the people that have "Green Fingers" they can grow very healthy and lush house plants without much effort. And others don't because they do not see it, whatever they do and how much they try their plants will never be in top shape. Then for the one with the Green Fingers, it's something obvious and a mystery why the one without green fingers doesn't see it. There probably is a psychological explanation for it, but this is even further away from my expertise than BBA. :)

Last edited:

Yugang

The ones able to see it sooner and act before it becomes problematic you never hear about. And I guess seeing it and acting upon it way ahead before it becomes a problematic scenario is a commitment that comes intuitively.
So there are a couple of ways to invite BBA in, and have an outbreak. That's the basic stuff, and one can enjoy many hours of reading and practicing and making sure that does not happen to us at home. But taking it one step further, are we now assuming that even the real professionals with perfect display tanks discreetly remove BBA spots in their tanks after working hours? (Please don't take down my heros :) )

I believe there is also a more practical implication of the BBA question. Example - when we have some minor BBA, acceptable level, does it make any sense to further optimize CO2 to levels like 0.1 pH equivalent, or even better? Or do we accept that at some point we have achieved the best possible BBA management in the tank, and focus our energy on more relevant issues to improve in our tank?

zozo

But taking it one step further, are we now assuming that even the real professionals with perfect display tanks discreetly remove BBA spots in their tanks after working hours? (Please don't take down my heros :) )

I assume nothing and not trying to take down anybody... But it's a fact that some real professionals do or did and aren't shy to admit it. You can find examples enough for that. I remember a video about it from the founder of this forum sharing his BBA experiences.

The video might answer the rest of your questions... :)

Yugang

I assume nothing and not trying to take down anybody... But it's a fact that some real professionals do or did and aren't shy to admit it. You can find examples enough for that. I remember a video about it from the founder of this forum sharing his BBA experiences.

The video might answer the rest of your questions... :)

Perhaps we call that a conclusion @zozo. Ouch, even my hero George does it....