• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TC 420 / LED for a Luddite

I hope everyone's in sparkling form this morning,

Apologies in advance as I've used the search function and have gained a wee bit of insight but not enough to hit the "buy" button on the well known auction site yet so hoped I could tap you wise folks for a bit of hard facts.

A bit of background would probably be helpful, I've recently succumbed to just one more tank-itis and have acquired an aquanano 40x40x40 second hand. It's a lovely bit of kit and got a few bits and pieces with it.

There were two aquaone branded LED units which I've struggled to get any definitive info on but gather they're 10 watts each, I'm a complete luddite when it comes to LED. I don't know if it's the angle I see the reflection of the lamps at but one seems to have green illuminated lights and the other more red, both majority white. Anyway I'm digressing.

I keep being tempted by the functionality of the TC420 and it seems a good bit of kit compared to what the branded units offer, especially when for me cost is an enormous factor.

So what I wanted to do was hook both these 10w LEDS to my hypothetical (at present) TC 420.

I believe the TC420 can handle 48W per channel at 12V (thanks to Zozo's wonderfully informative if not a bit intimidating and bewildering thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mr16-dc-12-volt-cob-led-spot-on-tc420.43423/).

So both units would be fine and there's plenty room to expand if I do again succumb to the allure of Chihiros wares later, then all I'd need is a suitable 12V power supply / driver to cover the increase power (2x10W = 20W driver). Here's where I started going into overdrive - could I at this point buy and over rated driver to cover for future temptations e.g. the max load driver 240w driver and tune it down, or would it just fry the lower wattage LEDs?

Finally the thing I really wanted to ask was how you go about getting the two wired (like a phone charger) to being 3. Actually it's only one wire to three - this is getting silly but I hope you know what I mean. I am not completely skill less as have wired a couple of STC1000s for home brewing and know that the principles involved here are essentially the same in terms of building the thing. Just I sit and ponder for hours stupid things.

Anyway I apologise for the long winded post but glad I got it oot there - I'm not very good at posting love reading all your input but hey ho will bumble along :)

eta - the aquaone leds are majority white not blue

Back