• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap Thread Size for Python Water Changer

jameson_uk

Father Christmas delivered a Python water changer but I am struggling to find the right adaptor I need (mainly because there seems to be no documentation as to what size any of the threads are...)

What I know...
  • The kitchen tap has a shower hose type tap which I believe is a standard 1/2" BSP thread
  • The main plastic attachment screws to my outside taps (a standard hozelock connection attaches without any adaptor)
  • There are a coupe of adaptors in the bag which are not much help
So I guess ideally I just want a male 1/2" BSP to a whatever size a garden tap thread is male adaptor.

Any idea what size a "standard" garden tap thread is (ie. just the main hozelock plastic bit)?

As fas as i know in most European countries it is standarized in mainly BSP 3/4" for regular garden taps and (dish) washing machine taps. Anything related to water or gass is BSP.. I would be very surpriced if whole europe is using BSP and the British something different. :)

As fas as i know in most European countries it is standarized in mainly BSP 3/4" for regular garden taps and (dish) washing machine taps. Anything related to water or gass is BSP.. I would be very surpriced if whole europe is using BSP and the British something different. :)
That is what I figured but everything just seems to say it is universal and should fit.... Now you mention it, the main attachment does look like a washing machine one so that should be it.

Ordered a 1/2" BSP male to 3/4" BSP male adapter from eBay so will see if that does the job....

Looking at Python products it is American made..
http://www.pythonproducts.com/products.html

It likely will have UNF thread also in inches but different than BSP.. You might need BSP x UNF adaptor.
https://sizes.com/tools/thread_american.htm
The main plastic bit happily screws onto my outside taps (and I guess dishwasher one which I may try in a second). I think these American threads happen to be the same size as the UK ones. The adapters included however look to be very American :)

It can be confusing sometimes, americans also use NPT (national pipe thread) standard.. That is slightly simular to BSP and it likely will fit.. For water it might not be problematic.. :) NPT has a different diameter but same pitch, so NPT male doesn't fit in BSP female and other way around it fits but rather losely. I remember this from the USA paint bottle thread sizes they have NPT. If it fits it wont realy be a big issue with water, but for pressurized co2 not recomended to mix this..

You are best taking the adapter plastic part to home base and trying the different threads, it's what I did back when I had a python

OK so it is python 1 kitchen windows, walls, cabinets 0...

I have ordered what I think is the right adaptor but was passing B&Q so popped in to see what they had. Ended up with a brass 1/2" BSP male nipple and a garden tap connector (which came with a plastic 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor)

This all plugs together and I drained the tanks really easily. When I tried to fill the tanks the pressure got to much and the garden tap adaptor did hold resulting in quite a lot of water everywhere. I guess it is roughly 3/4" but not quite the same thread.

Will do some experimentation in the shower with a couple of different setups to see if they hold.

I have the same problem but I think of just changing the tap to fit the thread I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem but I think of just changing the tap to fit the thread I have?

Do you mean changing your sink tap or the python tap?

The python is all based on American sizes which appear to be kind of compatible but not not quite with UK standards. My tap is probably worse as I want to attach it to the pull out hose. For normal mixer taps something like http://www.hozelock.com/our-product...-watering/tap-connectors/mixer-tap-connector/ and then the universal adaptor (which still needs another one to connect to the python) would probably work.

Isn't there a way to solder the brass piece with the USA/NPT thread to a brass BSP thread piece? Even if it doesn't fit snugly the solder will fix it.
No idea if that brass NPT piece in the rubber has a thread too.
I realy miss those days where everything was brass.. Nowadays plastic crap can drive you nuts..

The python is all based on American sizes which appear to be kind of compatible but not not quite with UK standards.
I brought my Python to Ireland, had no problem connecting to the kitchen tap, bathroom fixture was completely not suited ... FWIW I've had the same experience with North American taps (some had suitable thread, some didn't - currently have both kitchen & bath taps fitting the Python connectors)

Python does offer a brass version (single piece 69HD) of the plastic (2 part) connector (13A) - I prefer using the brass to connect to the tap BUT any plastic~brass connection will show more wear & tear than plastic~plastic or brass~brass.
As there's no local stock of Python parts, I keep backup faucet connectors & pump 13B at hand; I've used the alternate branded versions of both parts, neither last as well as Python so not worth the minimal savings (especially as costs have increased dramatically on the alternate name versions while I'm still paying the same for my Python parts)

Do you mean changing your sink tap or the python tap?

The python is all based on American sizes which appear to be kind of compatible but not not quite with UK standards. My tap is probably worse as I want to attach it to the pull out hose. For normal mixer taps something like http://www.hozelock.com/our-product...-watering/tap-connectors/mixer-tap-connector/ and then the universal adaptor (which still needs another one to connect to the python) would probably work.

Change the sink tap - it might be less hassle in the long run

I have the jbl aqua in-out and I am also looking for a solution

Back