• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tannins...friend or foe ?

andy

My bogwood has been slowly releasing it's tannins into the water giving a lovely blackwater look. However, how much light is this stopping from reaching the lower levels of my 2 foot deep tank ? Is it a significant amount ?

Awaits with big tub of carbon !!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

If you like the look just go with it. Any plants you have should adapt, but give it a go and see, and hopefully, your fish will happy with the acidity tannins bring.

Dave.

Personally I like the look of tannins in the water in a blackwater style tank, but they can go along with very acidic water which your plants won't like (one of my tanks got down to pH4!) so you'll need to monitor things. If you want to dilute them I would also use large water changes too as they will remove everything your bogwood is leaching into the water, not just the tannins you can see which is much better, or use the carbon and large water changes for a real belt and braces approach.

I don't mind the look of a little tannins although I like the clear look more so I am a fence sitter.

Back