• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tankenstein - Low Tech 55L Cube

(I'd like to get something ready-made). Do you have any suggestions?
I've used Tropica "old" & "new" versions - I really like the pump bottles & option to add "Specialized" or "Premium" or both in varying combination ;)

Seachem does an Aquavitro line that is as well thought out as all of their products - unfortunately they didn't go with "dosing" bottles (but all solutions are kept "dark" & seals are very good).

In a 40cm cube running low tech, commercial fertilizers seem a good option, a 300ml bottle of Tropica will go a long ways, Seachem's Aquavitro would be more of an initial investment but again will last ages.

If you keep sensitive fishes or shrimps, it's best to dilute any additives before dosing into the tank.

Up until today I’ve been doing 50% wc every day and will now go on to do 50% every other day. I will probably give the filter a quick rinse this weekend. I am adding just under 2ml of EasyCarbo a day. The lights are on about 60% strength from 2pm-8pm.

Given that you're not adding CO2 I suspect your lights will be fine.

Given that you're not adding CO2 & have chosen several plants that prefer CO2 set ups, you may get quite a bit of "melt" over the next days to weeks, in a cycled tank you could depend upon shrimp/snails to assist with removal of the melted leafs, in this tank you'll want to do daily maintenance ...
I'd actually continue with daily water changes for the next couple of weeks while plants settle (often incoming tap water contains some measure of dissolved CO2)

You've planted some species in rather large/dense "clumps" rather than separating into smaller portions, so watch for any "browning" or "melt" as it can spread through the mass rapidly - if you see this happening, try replanting with more separation or trimming out any brown leafs (look at the base of the plants).

Of course it's also possible that everything will just commence growth with very little issue :D

Scape is nicely done & that wood is grand :)

(though if it's anything like the new wood I added recently, it'll surprise you one fine morning with a lovely growth of white filaments tipped in green :wideyed: )

Hey Alto, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

After speaking to Dave at Aquarium Gardens, I've ordered a bottle of TNC Complete so I'll have a try with that for now and see how it goes.

I'd actually continue with daily water changes for the next couple of weeks while plants settle (often incoming tap water contains some measure of dissolved CO2)

I agree! I skipped one yesterday and the Tankenstein looked a bit scruffy today so I'll got back to daily w/c, so glad I have a small tank and a tap nearby!

You've planted some species in rather large/dense "clumps" rather than separating into smaller portions, so watch for any "browning" or "melt" as it can spread through the mass rapidly - if you see this happening, try replanting with more separation or trimming out any brown leafs (look at the base of the plants).

A few yellow/brown leaves appearing in the Lilaeopsis, I've removed the worst of them for now but will have more time on the weekend. So far the other stuff is alright but, like you say, there is still time! Half expecting some of the Ammania 'Bonsai' to rot off at the stems - I've seen the stories on this forum :wideyed:

(though if it's anything like the new wood I added recently, it'll surprise you one fine morning with a lovely growth of white filaments tipped in green :wideyed: )

Yes! The Oak is sporting a fabulous white fuzz in places but weirdly the Tree Heather is spotless!

Noticed this on one of the Hygrophila yesterday:
DSC_0778.JPG

Is this hair/thread algae? :yuck: Worth spot treating with liquid carbon?

I don't know what kind of algae is that but liquid carbon is more than welcome; also some algae eaters, and the rest: light, feeding routine, water change, etc

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Nice tank Bex, is it situated in your study?
I would find it hard to work with such a distraction, especially with fish / inverts in there. !!

Personally i wouldnt be spot treating that, BUT
Liquid carbon in the tank wouldnt hurt at all, however, be sure you dose it properly. Irregular dosing can lead to much bigger problems. Keep the dosing small initially.

It look just like the start of green beard algae. I am growing it in my angel tank. And that is how mine started.
a84dbfdf95901c93b96378e33d15a356.jpg

I lost 90% of it due to a new 24 inch tall tank (lights not strong enough). but it is starting to regrow. I am going for a true amazon wood and algae look. Most of the wood was covered . Mine is thicker than yours but it started out as single stands evenly spaced.

Sorry for the photo bomb he thought he was getting fed and sorry for the sideways pic.

Nice tank Bex, is it situated in your study?
I would find it hard to work with such a distraction, especially with fish / inverts in there. !!

It's a serious distraction! There are no animals in it yet, I don't think I'll get anything done when that day comes...

It look just like the start of green beard algae. I am growing it in my angel tank. And that is how mine started.

Hey Chris, great photo, some fish just want fame and glory. There are some similarities between our algae but mine doesn't look as green, its more of a dirty grey brown colour so it may be diatoms. We'll see...:yuck:

A week on from planting and the Tankenstein is mostly alive and kicking, there is some melting going on and it has even grown some hair...fluffy brown stuff like this:

DSC_0765 (2).JPG
DSC_0766 (2).JPG
DSC_0767 (2).JPG

I posted for help here and it sounds like it might be diatoms.

Since planting I've been doing as follows:
-50% daily wc
-Dosing 2ml EasyCarbo daily (their recommended dose for heavily planted tanks)
-TNC Complete ferts, it says to dose once a week but as I'm changing so much water daily I've divided the weekly dose by 7 and am adding this amount daily - ie. 5ml/7 = 0.7ml

Does the above stuff look okay?

Lights are still on 6 hrs at about 70% output, they are only 22w in total over 54l so I am wondering if I should just put them up to 100%? I was keeping them lower to prevent algae but as that hasn't worked I'd be interested in your opinions?

Following advice re algae, yesterday I gave the tank a big clean - scrubbed infested rocks and wood, rubbed as much algae off plants as possible. In doing so I managed to uproot quite a few plants which was quite annoying (understatement), replanting them caused a bit of substrate disturbance and mess so I'm not entirely sure whether my efforts resulted in a goal for me or for the algae. At this point I'd like to observe that some of this aquascaping stuff requires the motor skills of a brain surgeon and the patience of a saint - so something to aspire then! A few bits of Lilaeopsis and the manky Hydrocotyle pictured didn't make it back into the tank...

After this I siphoned out about 80% of the water and squirted the plants with their daily dose of EasyCarbo (diluted 1:20) and left them to stew whilst I gave the filter sponges a squeeze out and cleaned the pipe work (both of which were dirtier than I thought). Then refilled the tank.

This is when the real drama began... :arghh: suddenly there was a gushing sound and I looked down to see a ever increasing pool of water around my feet. It turned out that the pipes had pulled out of either end of my inline heater. Once I'd dealt with the flood I discovered the serious design fault with the heater (a Chinese knock off), the screw down nuts that are supposed to keep the hose firmly attached to the heater do no such thing, they are too wide, the slightest tug and the pipe pulls off. I guess I shouldn't be surprised!. Extremely grateful that this happened when I was home though and I have now FIRMLY attached the pipes to the heater with duct tape!

A few pics...

The tank today:
DSC_0775 (2).JPG
DSC_0776 (2).JPG
DSC_0773 (2).JPG

Where the magic/mayhem happens - offending heater and duct tape featured:
DSC_0778 (2).JPG

Thanks for looking, any opinions, advice etc welcome

Bex

The stuff in the first picture looks like staghorn algae.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have no experience with that heater, but it might be worth checking if your screw down collars are supposed to screw the other way. On both the UP inline atomiser and the Eheim double tap sets that I have, the collar should be close to the body of the item in question to be loose, then you screw them away from the body of the item in the direction of the hose and they then bite and clamp the hose at the point where there is a barb on the fitting. It could be the same with your heater?

This image here shows what I mean on the Ehim tap sets:

IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg
    IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 82
    IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 84
    IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 76
    IMG_1665_zps96caa883.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 79
@Wisey I know what you mean, my filter has the same thing you describe but the heater is meant to work the normal way - like how garden hosepipe connectors work. I think it's just a case of being a bit of a cheapo heater. But there is NOTHING that duct tape can't fix, almost ;)

Hey @AndreiD , thanks for the advice, I can't move the lights any higher, the mounting brackets don't allow for this. I can dim them though and they aren't on full power yet. But they are only 22W for a 54 litre tank, that is quite low lighting no?

Still waiting for the tank to cycle, hopefully in another week or so I'll be able to add some creatures :)

So it’ been about 4 weeks since I filled the tank up and about 3 weeks since planting it…

Current routine:

- every morning 2.2ml EasyCarbo and 0.7ml TNC Complete

- lights 22W (not even on full power though) on from 15H00-21H00

- every evening 50% water change/siphoning substrate/picking out plant crud

- once a week, quick filter clean

-every fortnight, clean pipes

I had thought by now that I’d be doing a wc every 2nd day but found that when I did miss a day there was a significant build-up of decaying plant matter and a general muckiness on the substrate and then a coating of diatoms all about the tank so I’ve decided to stick to daily water changes for now. I’m also giving the filter a quick clean weekly as there is so much debris getting in there and if I fail to do this I notice that the diatoms get worse. When I planted the tank so heavily I had hoped that it would help stabilise the tank and new filter quicker, which in some ways it has, but on the flipside it had also meant that there has been a lot of mess to clear up as the plants adapt to their new underwater, no-so-CO2-enriched environment.

The plants:

When I ordered the plants I included a few ‘medium’ rated species, even though the recommendation was for a higher tech setup than mine, I decided to give them a go anyways! On the whole I have been pleasantly surprised, nothing has died, yet. I’ve detailed their progress below in case anyone interested…

- I wasn’t sure what the Ammania ‘Bonsai’ tissue culture would do as I’d read about them rotting at the base and floating away but at the moment they are all looking pretty happy, rooting well and putting on good growth.

- Staurogyne rubescens and Eleocharis acicularis are looking good too, the E. acicularis is sending out an ever increasing network of roots and runners, it’s very exciting to watch them grow against the glass.

- Lilaeopsis n-z has needed frequent attention as most of the original leaves turned yellow, there are new shoots coming so hopefully it will settle in soon.

- Micranthemum umbrosum has been very mucky! Lots of melt and floating away from the substrate so I used @alto 's tip and pinned it down with toothpicks after giving it a harsh haircut – not sure how it will do, I’d like to give it a chance though.

- Juncus repens has been doing well and is one of my favourite plants so far, it’s a real gem.

- The Ludwigia repens and palustris and Bacopa caroliniana and compacta have also seem okay though an absolute NIGHTMARE to keep in the soil, they are rooting better now but initially they spend most of their time taking turns to float around the tank! I have given the Ludwigia prune – but I’m not sure I’ve done it right – it looks a bit top heavy, I’ll post some pics below for your advice and opinions.

- Crypt petchii, Anubias nana and Eleocharis sp have all been predictably reliable. The petchii is turning a lovely pink/bronze colour and I’ve split one of the larger clumps up and planted the results in between rocks and wood.

- Hydrocotyle ‘Japan’, the plant I received was huge, about 40cm long. I wasn’t sure how to deal with it so I just cut it down to about 20cm and planted it like that. It looks very happy but it’s not sent any runners out along the floor of the tank like it thought it would. I’m not sure if I should just cut it back further or give it time?

-Hygrophila pinnatifida – this has been a tricky one! It was the first plant to get diatoms and then what looked to be some kind of short filamentous algae. Even when the other plants recovered, the pinna continued to be harassed by algae regardless of a routine of liquid carbon and leaf cleaning. There are about 5 plants in the tank, planted in different locations with respect to light and flow, some tied to hardscape and some shallowly in the substrate next to wood and rocks. All of them have suffered so I can only assume that this plant has found it very difficult to adapt to the tank. But I stubbornly refuse to let them go! What I have been doing is waiting for good basal shoots to develop and then on those plants that have got the basal shoots I have lopped the rest of the plant off and discarded it. I’m hoping that these new shoots will be better able to cope to their new environment and won’t get smothered by algae, any thoughts on this?

New additions:

- One Tiger Nerite snail, 5 Cherry Shrimp and 2 Amano’s added 5 days ago. The shrimp are very amusing and a big help with tank cleaning. The Amanos have so much attitude and personality but are a little ADHD when it comes to algae eating whereas the Cherries make up for what they lack in size with good work ethic!

- 5 Bucephalandra added yesterday: B. Copi Susa, B. Kedagang Purple, B. Brownie Helena, B. Brownie Purple, B. Brownie Blue

Some pics:

DSC_0826.JPG

Amano on Ammania 'Bonsai'

DSC_0794.JPG

Eleocharis growth - a week's worth
DSC_0779 (2).JPG
DSC_0806.JPG

New Buces
DSC_0796.JPG
DSC_0815.JPG

Trying to salvage the Hygrophila

DSC_0817.JPG

Ludwigia pruning - any advice on what to do now?

DSC_0819.JPG

I'll be carrying on with daily wc's for the next couple of weeks, I hope things will begin to acclimatise soon and that the algae will go away! In a few more weeks I’ll start thinking about adding fish – some Oto’s and maybe some Celestial Danio’s – anyone have any other suggestions for a tank this size?

Thanks for reading - any comments, advice etc very welcome!

Bex

-Hygrophila pinnatifida – this has been a tricky one! It was the first plant to get diatoms and then what looked to be some kind of short filamentous algae. Even when the other plants recovered, the pinna continued to be harassed by algae regardless of a routine of liquid carbon and leaf cleaning. There are about 5 plants in the tank, planted in different locations with respect to light and flow, some tied to hardscape and some shallowly in the substrate next to wood and rocks. All of them have suffered so I can only assume that this plant has found it very difficult to adapt to the tank. But I stubbornly refuse to let them go! What I have been doing is waiting for good basal shoots to develop and then on those plants that have got the basal shoots I have lopped the rest of the plant off and discarded it. I’m hoping that these new shoots will be better able to cope to their new environment and won’t get smothered by algae, any thoughts on this?

Did you receive the plant in its emersed form? I have Pinnatifida growing great in its immersed form but bought new plants for my big tank. They arrived very different from my other plants, having soft, furry leaves. Mine aren't looking great either after being submerged for 3 days. I'm not sure how the plant is supposed to transform soft furry leaves to the firmer, smooth type I've grown accustomed too. I'm pretty disappointed and expect this lot of Pinnatifida to melt away. If I ever buy any again I will make sure to ask whether it is the emersed or immersed plant as I think buying it in emersed form is setting us up for failure!

Almost all commercial plant growers grow their plants emersed. You'll probably only find the immersed growth buying from hobbyists or perhaps a seller who's kept it submerged for a few months. H. pinnatifada will lose all the leaves it comes with, but hopefully will have new submerged growth by that point.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Did you receive the plant in its emersed form? I have Pinnatifida growing great in its immersed form but bought new plants for my big tank. They arrived very different from my other plants, having soft, furry leaves.

From your description and Tom's reply, mine must also have arrived in emersed form. A few days after planting I couldn't tell if those tiny hairs were algae or if they belonged to the plant! Either way...they look like algae now! But hopefully yours will put out some new shoots at the bottom like mine have (after 3 weeks mind) and you can discard the original top growth. Good luck!

Back