• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Life

lurcher

Do tanks,especially the larger ones have an average life span before the silicone sealant gets tired and leaks can occur. I guess this is a concern to fish keepers ,especially those with older tanks.

It's a good question l suppose if you get it from a good manafacturer ,company then you should have more confidence in it's lifespan . I have a clearsil one for not in use for many years so when l refilled l was wary but no issues at all

This is a how long is a piece of string type question really. Some silicon or tank manufacturers give a rough idea with their guarantees but I've seen anything from 10-25 years quoted (for the silicon not the tank guarantee). It does also depend on lots of other factors like what you keep the tank on, how often you have had to move it, if it's been full all the time, how it was made and the size plus even what you keep in it can influence things.
If you are careful with the seams when cleaning then 10 years is the mimimum I'd expect from even a poorly made tank to last but they should reach a couple of decades.

I've bought second hand tanks (large) that was already some 5-10 years old back in the 80ties that I had an additional 10-15 years and used on and off, moved around etc. and eventually sold.... It's really hard to predict what the life expectancy would be - the glass, if not exposed to inordinate stress, will last a lifetime. The silicone seams will probably have a limit, but I would expect that to be several decades - again, unless exposed to inordinate stress or tear. I suppose it is one of those things where the often overused saying your milage may vary truly applies...

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back