• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank insulation

Myrtle

I've been pondering insulation for my tanks recently, and whilst sorting some of the "this will come in handy one day" stuff, I came across half a roll of camper van insulation/sound deadening foam which I had left over from my partial conversion. This gave me a surge of inspiration which I thought I'd share.
The insulation is black, dense foam on a roll with adhesive on one side. Here is a similar product on Amazon so you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I was surprised with how easy it was to put on, despite doing it with the tanks in situ, as you can remove and readjust it pretty easily. I imagine it'll be pretty hard to remove once it's been in place a while, though. Being black, it also doubles as a background, though how good it would look on a high light tank is debateable. Here it is on my low light killi tanks, not perfect cutting but it does the job:
20230502_190424.jpg

I've been pondering insulation for my tanks recently, and whilst sorting some of the "this will come in handy one day" stuff, I came across half a roll of camper van insulation/sound deadening foam which I had left over from my partial conversion. This gave me a surge of inspiration which I thought I'd share.
The insulation is black, dense foam on a roll with adhesive on one side. Here is a similar product on Amazon so you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I was surprised with how easy it was to put on, despite doing it with the tanks in situ, as you can remove and readjust it pretty easily. I imagine it'll be pretty hard to remove once it's been in place a while, though. Being black, it also doubles as a background, though how good it would look on a high light tank is debateable. Here it is on my low light killi tanks, not perfect cutting but it does the job:
View attachment 204739
Looks lovely, I think @_Maq_ also has some experience with insulating small tanks.

Nice idea, I have used polystyrene in the past to do similar. It definitely does make a difference 👍

Back