• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank covers.

Jaseon

After making a glass cover for my small shrimp tank im thinking of making more of them, but maybe use perspex.

I have noticed a difference in the amount of evaporation since using one. Do you use them? pros cons?

I did notice the condensation reduced the light a bit.

After making a glass cover for my small shrimp tank im thinking of making more of them, but maybe use perspex.

I have noticed a difference in the amount of evaporation since using one. Do you use them? pros cons?

I did notice the condensation reduced the light a bit.
Hi @Jaseon I've always used glass covers for my tanks. Yes, it reduces evaporation for sure and also light due to condensation and, depending on your water, if you let scale build up on the inside.

Cheers,
Michael

I purchased a perspex lid for an open tank and it was warped considerably, within 3 months. I was able to ask for three holes to be added, for cables and pothos.

I purchased a perspex lid for an open tank and it was warped considerably, within 3 months. I was able to ask for three holes to be added, for cables and pothos.
Warped with the heat from your lights?
Polycarbonate roofing material is cheap, easy to cut to size and works really well..
Yeah that was my other thought as ive seen a few use polycarbonate sheets. Lighter than glass as well. Do you get reduced light with it?

Warped with the heat from your lights?

Yeah that was my other thought as ive seen a few use polycarbonate sheets. Lighter than glass as well. Do you get reduced light with it?
It does drop the light a bit, mainly due to reflection and condensation. It's easy to make reflectors to bounce it back in.

The polycarbonate is relatively cheap and easy to work, because of its construction it doesn't tend to sag with the heat either

I'm away at the moment but I'll lake some photos when I'm home at the weekend if you remind me!

Sounds to me that it was made from extruded perspex. I have one I made myself from extruded perspex offcuts from work and had to add a lot of bracing to stop it warping.
The extrusion process fixes a lot of stresses in the perspex. Cast perspex does not have that issue. My internal filter, with heater built in, is made of cast perspex and has not warped at all.

Covers do save topping up. They also stop insects laying eggs in your beautiful water, fish escaping ect.
Yes they do cut the light down a bit, I just turn the light up a bit. I am thinking of coming up with a design based on a factory sawtooth roof, but the wrong way up. Hopefully the condensation will just roll off back into the tank?
1641922893591.png

Might even build it quite high so I can have plants growing above the waterline.

It does drop the light a bit, mainly due to reflection and condensation. It's easy to make reflectors to bounce it back in.

The polycarbonate is relatively cheap and easy to work, because of its construction it doesn't tend to sag with the heat either

I'm away at the moment but I'll lake some photos when I'm home at the weekend if you remind me!
I have a piece of polycarbonate still in my shed from my plastering days, and as they make a good spot board. Pretty strong stuff.
Sounds to me that it was made from extruded perspex. I have one I made myself from extruded perspex offcuts from work and had to add a lot of bracing to stop it warping.
The extrusion process fixes a lot of stresses in the perspex. Cast perspex does not have that issue. My internal filter, with heater built in, is made of cast perspex and has not warped at all.

Covers do save topping up. They also stop insects laying eggs in your beautiful water, fish escaping ect.
Yes they do cut the light down a bit, I just turn the light up a bit. I am thinking of coming up with a design based on a factory sawtooth roof, but the wrong way up. Hopefully the condensation will just roll off back into the tank?
View attachment 179722
Might even build it quite high so I can have plants growing above the waterline.

I have noticed less water loss since putting a lid on. Hope you have a crack at that design. Will look good, and functional.

An example for you.. excuse the rest of the tank!

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_191955.jpg
    IMG_20220114_191955.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20220114_192003.jpg
    IMG_20220114_192003.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 166
  • 16421880561056531911564422869130.jpg
    16421880561056531911564422869130.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 161
Back