• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Critique my hardscape Tank #2: Nano 30 Litres

ScaperJoe

I wanted to 'use up' some of my surplus substrate, hardscape and spare equipment I got while setting up my ADA 60P, so I bought a 30 litre nano tank online. I'd like to attempt to breed my Phoenix Rasbora in here.

Please feel free to comment on the 2 hardscape configurations I have come up with so far. I'm thinking #1 will be easier to maintain and will look better with sloping substrate, but #2 might look nice once the 'tree' fills out and has tiny fish swimming under a canopy.

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

dougbraz

Moss dripping down from the branches of the second one could be kinda funky, but I would prefer the first one still - more options. Just my tuppenceworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScaperJoe

Moss dripping down from the branches of the second one could be kinda funky, but I would prefer the first one still - more options. Just my tuppenceworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks @dougbraz I think you're right. I would do the tree if it was going to be the only feature with a carpet, but I took delivery of these 10 Mixed Potted Cryptocorynes (+1 Anubias Petite +1 Bucephalandra Wavy Green) from Aquarium Gardens today and I think they'll work better with layout #1.

Gotta say I'm really impressed with Aquarium Gardens. Such fast delivery to the Channel Islands and the plants look in great shape:

AG Crypts.jpg

I won't be able to use all of them, some will be far too big, but I have options! Looks like I have work to do this weekend :thumbup:

ScaperJoe

1 looks more natural, but could you use the roots lower down or entangle with the rocks in some way, give it a less staged feel? Again, my 2ps worth :)
I know exactly what you mean and if you’ve seen my mini trees in my first tank you’ll see it’s a recurring theme. One I hope to break from! Nothings fixed yet so I’ll have play before the substrate goes in and see if I can make it slightly more natural. Thanks @noodlesuk

ScaperJoe

Well... I gone and done it today:

2 Substrate.jpg

3 Planting.jpg

Day 1.jpg

@noodlesuk I used a hacksaw to get that piece of wood to sit more naturally on the stone today (I hope you'll agree!). Now its not floating in the air/water.

More plants to come this week and the Crypts need to recover from their melt, but I think I'm going to document both my scapes in a Journal thread now that I know where that is on here! :D

But its awesome what you can do with 2 rocks and a piece of wood though!