• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tanganyika vs Malawi biotopish scape

MrClockOff

Hi all,

I’m looking to build Tanganyika lake biotope, well at least try to get something alike using round stones and sand. But, first a want to make sure there is an easy, small enough and interesting species which could fit in 160l tank (80cmx40cmx55cm).

Many thanks
Daniel

I'd say just shelldwellers,one of the less aggressive species such as Neolamprologus similis or multifasciatus.
You'll need an outlet for the fry though as they'll just keep on breeding lol.
What sand do they prefer? Is Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Sand (40lb) OK for them? It has 1-2mm grains. Or this is overkill and I should just get cheap play sand for sand pits?

What sand do they prefer? Is Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Sand (40lb) OK for them? It has 1-2mm grains. Or this is overkill and I should just get cheap play sand for sand pits?
Personally I don't like play sand but you could use it as they dig a lot so the usual problem of it compacting shouldn't really occur.
I tend to use pool filter sand on most of my tanks but that's just my personal preference.

Turned out my wife wants more colours in the aquarium and shell dwellers are not representing such aspect... So I did some more research and found this guys Dwarf Mbuna (Pseudotropheus Saulosi) have great colours and may fit in 160L. So the thread title was updated. Do you think it's possible? How many I could get in there and what would be perfect ratio between male and female?

I really like this George Farmer's tank with Chindongo salousi cichlids . I have exactly the same volume tank but just 10cm longer (mine is Oase StyleLine 175).

Turned out my wife wants more colours in the aquarium and shell dwellers are not representing such aspect... So I did some more research and found this guys Dwarf Mbuna (Pseudotropheus Saulosi) have great colours and may fit in 160L. So the thread title was updated. Do you think it's possible? How many I could get in there and what would be perfect ratio between male and female?
Maybe just the one male, and a decent amount of females. I’d say around five. This really is the smallest tank I’d recommend and is probably still a bit to small however it should just about be doable. I think multiple males would be a recipe for disaster in a tank that small.

Cheers

Maybe just the one male, and a decent amount of females. I’d say around five. This really is the smallest tank I’d recommend and is probably still a bit to small however it should just about be doable. I think multiple males would be a recipe for disaster in a tank that small.

Cheers
Thank you very much for your opinion. I do realise it's not perfect tank size but I need some compromise to keep the tank and make it enjoyable by all family. Thanks a lot :thumbup:

Hi all,
So the thread title was updated. Do you think it's possible? How many I could get in there and what would be perfect ratio between male and female?
I've never kept them, but I think they are vicious little things. I'm also guessing that only one male unless you have a swimming pool sized tank.
edit: What @Conort2 says.
Turned out my wife wants more colours in the aquarium and shell dwellers are not representing such aspect.
Just tell her they will "colour up when they are bigger", by the time <"she finds out"> they won't get any bigger (or more colorful) she will have <"fallen in love with them"> and it won't matter.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Great fish and have kept them in the past. I seriously wouldn’t recommend them for a tank your size. Although they interact with the rockwork a lot, they’re a decent size fish and very active.
George really pushed it in that tank and subsequently added them to a larger tank.
I think he himself could admit he’s far more conscious of the animals welfare now and probably wouldn’t limit them to such a small tank.

It’s a common issue with all these YouTube “celebrities”, they’re regularly doing stuff they don’t advise and making excuses as to why it’s ok for them to do it.
I’m not knocking any of them, but I do feel they have a larger responsibility to set the right examples.

A pair of angelfish (one of the smaller species and tank bred) can work well in a tank that size as hardscape only.
Or there are numerous smaller America cichlids that are colourful and you could set up a nice tank for.
If you’re looking for African then unfortunately only shell dwellers would be suited to your tank size in absolute honesty.

Last edited:
Based solely on my experience, you could keep some julidochromis IMO. Go with one of the smaller varieties. Use a lot of rocks and create tons of cracks and crevices. I started with 5 in a 50g tank. Now I have about 3 dozen. There has never been any aggression. If you're looking for a brightly colored fish that will "jump out" (visually :)) from across the room however, then Julis may not be for you even thought they do have beautiful colors.

On the other hand, they live with a couple bright yellow Altolamprologus compressiceps which will definately catch your eye from accross the room.

I was told I could not succesfuly keep these fish in a 50g. 11 years later, they seem fine. You mileage may vary.

The mrs won’t take any interest after you initially buy them so just get what you want! 😂

Are you set on a biotope or is it just the rocky look you are after? A mix of community fish could look quite cool in a rocky scape or maybe look into. I was looking for a molly biotope and stumbled across this tank which has a nice hybrid feel

The fish could be changed for a colourful tetra and some dwarf cichlids of your choice. It would be far more harmonious and relaxing.

Imho the tank is too small, for mbuna, Pseudotropheus Saulosi can be extremely aggressive , perhaps shell dwellers, with a few neolamprologus leleupi may be a better bet 👍

I was told I could not succesfuly keep these fish in a 50g. 11 years later, they seem fine. You mileage may vary.
I agree with you this is achievable, but not achievable for everyone, this is why minimums are recommended.
It’s also worth noting that his tank is considerably smaller than yours.

Still making up my mind. Everything I do really like won’t fit in my tank.. but I liked community tank with rocky scape .

Back