• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taller bodied fish

get a shoal of 5 or 6 Black Phantom Tetra Hyphessobrycon megalopterus, AND a group of 8 or 9 harlequins. This is my favourite formula for the perfect community tank. It becomes so lively with both of these species, harlequins shoaling above the tetras, never fails to blow me away.
Been thinking about this, Simon. Do these two species really keep apart in the tank, above and below? I'm guessing the two shoals rarely sit one above the other like they're stacked on shelves. But if they generally mix freely with each other, that would give the aquarium a very different look.
Fishlore.com comments on the favoured 'tank region' of different species, upper, middle, lower. It says that green neon tetra will act like the harlequins, staying higher. What do you think?

I am also a big fan of the Red Phantom Tetras, I have 24 in a tall aquarium that also has angels in it. They are an absolute hoot when you feed them.

Been thinking about this, Simon. Do these two species really keep apart in the tank, above and below?
Yes they did. The phantoms tended to hang 3 to 4 inches above the bottom. You can get both males and females, but the males were responsible for carving out this territory. Occasionally the harlequins would venture into this group, typically when the lights came on. The harlequins enjoyed a space about 3 inches above the phantoms, and at points would shoal far more dynamically and nearer to the surface. If you have lots of plants then you may find a lot more hiding behaviour, but in a low moderately planted tank, both shoals were maintained. The best thing is to feed them fruit flies and watch them wallop the surface. That is something quite special to watch. Now back then, I am sure we had a subspecies of harlequins, so your results may vary a bit. Adding a couple of small rummy nose tetra was another trick we employed because the harlequins would join this pair and would be far more active, using every corner of the tank. As soon as I can - I will have this community again.

just noticed this is my 500th post!

Last edited:
My Red Phantoms are mainly a mid-level fish. The tank that they are in is 23 inches tall. If it was a covered tank I would add hatchetfish.

One day I'll have a covered tank and keep hatchet fish for sure.

Current thinking on this set-up is a shoal of 15-20 black phantom tetra and a group of 3-4 pearl gourami. And red cherry shrimp.

Thanks once again for all the suggestions, folks.

I've gone for a shoal of 15 red phantom tetra, which seem to have settled in fine. They definitely seem to favour the lower half of the aquarium, so the suggestion from @Simon Cole to add another shoal that will tend to stay higher in the water column might make very good sense. But the colouring and markings of harlequins are a bit too close to the red phantoms for my liking.

I'm wondering if black neon tetra, or even diamond tetra, might perform a similar function?

Back