• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tall tank 620T - if at first you don't succeed!

laurap0ps

Seedling
Hi,

My smallest child, Rose, is the perfect excuse for buying a fishtank - she is mesmerised by fish. At Christmas we looked after a friend's tank and Rose uttered one of her first words - "fish!!"

We have a bit of a strange shaped lounge and went for the AquaOne 620T because it fits nicely into an alcove away from sunlight and too much throughfare. Whilst waiting for the tank to arrive we saw some of the popular aquascaping sites and thought it might be nice to give it a go.... so this is the tale of our attempts, its likely to be full of mistakes and errors, but hopefully it won't result in us becoming fish murderers!

There have been sketches drawn and numerous visits to local garden centres and fish shops to pick the right 'rocks.' My partner decided we needed rocks with 'character.'

We purchased sand and gravel online as there seemed to be a shortage of more 'natural' colours in the shops near us.

on 29.03.11 water, rocks, sand and gravel went in.

On 01.04.11 the plants arrived from a mister on ebay - they were rather distressed as some wally (namely me) took them to work in the envelope mistaking them for something else and they spent the day in a hot, sweaty office with lots of distressed, busy people!

At some point between then and today 2 leopard danios, 2 zebra danios, 1 male guppy, 2 lady guppies, 3 apple snails (yellow, blue, purple) 1 nerite snail, 1 african dwarf frog, 6 neon tetras, 2 flying fox/siamese algae eaters (they were labelled flying fox but many hours spent with the internet suggest they may not be) went into the tank.

Initially the plants grew nicely and have bushed out - but it all seemed to stop after about 3 weeks. I have bought Seachem's Flourish fertiliser and a Nutrafin CO2 natural diffuser.

Last week I purchased some Java Moss from Maidenhead Aquatics.

Today we went to a LFS and got 2 Alternanthera in pink, a Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba', and a lilaeopsis Mauritania.

I think we are probably bodging it up royally - but its a start. Desperately trying to read lots and learn as we go - which is a fairly stupid thing to do - but so far its really good fun :)

27032011553.jpg

This is the rocks and sand arranged.

27032011554.jpg

close up..

fishsw.jpg

This is the tank on the 01.04.11 after planting

02052011589.jpg

The tank last week with a bit of movement

07052011602.jpg

This is with today's plant additions (as described above.)

Removed the waterweed because it looked a bit manky.

I can't find my camera so have had to use my phone - not the best quality.

Any hints/tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated! It's very much a work in progress and I am sure that people with experience and knowledge will be able to spot things that we newbies haven't even come close to considering yet!

That is a tall tank your right. I like the rock layout with the sand and gravel. Will look nice when the plants fill out more. I'm not sure the seachem flourish contains everything, although I could be wrong he he. Maybe some vallis along the back would help with the height of the tank.
If they are Siamese algae eaters they'll soon get a tad big in there.

Look forward to seeing how it all grows in nicely

Alastair

Hey thats a nice tank! Nice little colourful aquatic garden, I like it. I guess you have enough fish/snail load, no need to add more.. For the plants try adding liquid fertilizers and CO2 (flourish, excel and likes).

The Lil. Mauritiana grass at the centre back could come in the fore-middle ground, and as Alastair says, you could try a bigger grass like Vallisneria at the back. Make sure to set timer to the lights.. Else, simply wait and watch, and share the tank pics..

-niru

Good to see you here - is a fantastically helpful site! Page 1 of my journal has a list of the mistakes I've made - might be worth a look to see if you're making the same ones. Plus has the advice on ferts from others I think you might need.

Having bought a drop checker today (will post on journal later), seems that without pressurised CO2, an in-tank diffuser just doesn't get close..

Agree about kids being fish obsessives though.

Hi,
Thanks very much for the replies - very exciting!

Alastair - I have got some vallis from ebay so thank you for the suggestion - I think they will make a nice addition.

Niru - no more fish?? Really? I was thinking I could fit a few more in. I will be investing in a timer plug, because keep meaning to turn it off and somehow it creeps up to too many hours before I know it!

Mikeappleby - I am going to have to keep going with the none pressurized co2 for now because I have practically bankrupted myself with all these fishy purchases! My plants seem to be doing alright at the moment - no deaths/melts yet. They could achieve more I am sure but they will have to be patient and wait for pay day (As will I!)

Sad update is that we had a snail death. It was very bizarre. Crawled on the heater - as have all the other snails with no issues - massive bang - like someone pelted a marble at the tank. Next thing the snail is hanging off the heater looking a bit frazzled. Dead snail. No other heater problems - it is maintaining a constant temperature. No obvious cracks in it and other snails have been on it since.

Back