• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tall bushy plants for low tech

Simmo

Hi Folks
I’d appreciate some recommendations for easy to grow, tall, bushy plants for my established low tech Juwel Lido 200.
I’d like to reduce the lines of sight by dense, tall planting and hope this will chill the dominant male emperor and honey gourami a bit; they do a lot of chasing of their own kind, but also to generally improve the habitat for the fish and make it look more lush
Presently I have echinodorous, frogbit, java fern , crypts, vallis and some epiphytes
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 358

This is the first thing that came to mind as well. I used to have this in a low tech tank and it was beautiful and RAMPANT. I'm tempted to reintroduce it to my high tech tank.

Very bushy (great for filling space), gets as tall as you'd like and looks lush.

Thanks chaps, I must be the only person who had Wisteria and killed it! Not sure how I managed that…. worth another go I think 👍
Cheers

Difformis is also a great plant for fry and shrimp which can settle in the canopy like growth, mention Polysperma as a option too it can really take off but easily trimmed for a bushy look

Thanks chaps, I must be the only person who had Wisteria and killed it! Not sure how I managed that…. worth another go I think 👍
Cheers
You can always have a go with...its a tad more delicate as the stems break easily, it propagates quickly even from leaves sometime!
hoggie

I used to grow hygrophila polysperma rosanervig about 20 years ago under shop t8 lights and it did absolutely amazing. I like that it has small leaves and although I'm not into the "variagation" look, it does make a nice contrast to other larger leaved green plants. I've been meaning to get some more for probably the last 15 years now.

In my very limited experience I'm finding that limnophila sessiliflora is growing very quickly and bushy in my low tech tank. I've also got hygrophila polysperma which seems to be doing well, but not as fast-growing.

The rest of the stem plants, not so much!

To follow up I bought some H.difformis and siamensis teo weeks ago and they have taken off really well, going from a few cm to 25 or so in the case of the tallest The growth is quite pale so I threw in some extra iron in addition to the daily dose 5ml dose of TNC Complete. Thanks for the advice, a good result so far 👍

Attachments

• FB299E85-5F91-401A-8DA8-D55BDFBB51DF.jpeg
    FB299E85-5F91-401A-8DA8-D55BDFBB51DF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
  • BCCFE1DA-1731-4B7F-9724-716F1A7251B1.jpeg
    BCCFE1DA-1731-4B7F-9724-716F1A7251B1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Thank you Guys, they have thrived, bought 10 and they’ve doubled in size in a few months, the dominant male is undisputed king of the tank! I think I was lucky that they are good stock. Quite beautiful but they are also bigger and more boisterous than I had anticipated, being one of the few common tetra spp I have not kept over the years! 😀 Here’s a pic or two of ones that stayed still long enough!

Attachments

• 6F05FFA9-C7CA-4846-B3B4-681A40FFDB0D.jpeg
    6F05FFA9-C7CA-4846-B3B4-681A40FFDB0D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • A91730A2-10AC-4A9D-ACC9-AC0F055B3F73.jpeg
    A91730A2-10AC-4A9D-ACC9-AC0F055B3F73.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
They are magnificent, regrettably I think their rude health might be in part at the expense of my Amano shrimps! Just noticed after being away there were 4 and are now, er, none 😪. Should have seen that coming….like I say, boisterous these Emperors!

It can be that Amano's hide. I had 10. All eaten. none seen. Then months later when I moved tank and stripped it down eventually I found all 10. Many people report this.

Back