• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taking back the jungle

Yeah ex paid £1000 to have hers done and she had 1/4 gravelled with buff chippings. Then a shed built, patio laid borders and slabs and grass.
So I think it's a fair price.
Do need to check if it includes the cost of the gravel etc though.

If in doubt ask. Not entirely tuned in to what constitutes a fair day's pay for a fair day's work around your way. Nor the ridiculous and ever spiralling cost of materials.

But to add some context, one landscape gardener quoted me the optimistic price of £25,000 for a basic earth moving job and perimeter fencing :eek:

Extortion under any definition, especially as he'd done a similar job for my son at 1/5 of the price. It seems some jobs, these days, are priced at a perceived ability to pay rather than actual cost.

So have had a quote come thru already.
Then 25 sleepers for one side full length flower bed 625
Labour 250
Screws bolts 30
Black Jack paint 28
Unless he wants only 200 mm height then it's 13 sleepers 325
£1200
Any indication how long the job would take? Round our neck of the woods, a day rate is anywhere between £180 and £250.

If in doubt ask. Not entirely tuned in to what constitutes a fair day's pay for a fair day's work around your way. Nor the ridiculous and ever spiralling cost of materials.
But to add some context, one landscape gardener quoted me the optimistic price of £25,000 for a basic earth moving job and perimeter fencing :eek:

Extortion under any definition, especially as he'd done a similar job for my son at 1/5 of f the price. It seems some jobs, these days, are priced at a perceived ability to pay rather than actual cost.
Yeah at the previous house, they wanted 6k for astroturf

Any indication how long the job would take? Round our neck of the woods, a day rate is anywhere between £180 and £250.
Will have a chat with them at the weekend, as back in cov then.

It seems some jobs, these days, are priced at a perceived ability to pay rather than actual cost.

I think that’s very much the case at the moment. I think trades people have got that much work available, they can charge what they want. They can happily add 25%-50% to the usual price and quote 10 people even though that only have capacity to take on one of the jobs, and one of those 10 will end up paying the inflated price.

We recently got a quote for an external double garage to be built on the front of our property and the builder quoted £73k . . . for a basic garage!

It was only a few years ago we paid less than £60k for a two floor extension the full width of our old house, fully fitted and finished throughout!

I’ll always personally give everything a bash myself before paying another man to do it.
Only thing I won’t touch is electrics.
yeah that's why i had a go myself. And quickly realised it would be too much and I would end up hurting myself in the process of clearing it all.

Back