• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T8 v T8 LED retrofit v something else

tam

I have a Tropiquarium 55 - it's probably 20 years old. It's got a single 15w T8 tube in and I remember it growing basic stems really well with that. It's currently growing algae - I'm guessing that may be related to the fact that tube (along with the tank) has been sat in a shed 5+ years and the tube probably wasn't changed out for a few years before that.

I can buy a new T8 for about £15.

Or Aquael do a LED retrofit option: Leddy Tube RETROFIT - Aquael the 15W equivalent (8w) only seems to come in 'sunny' rather than 'plant' though approx £24 but seems to be stock issues.

Or I remove the hood and pop something like: Small Aquarium LED Lights for Sale - Allpondsolutions the tank is about 51cm so would need the 24w @ £22.50

I don't want to spend loads, it's planted but a spare tank, sometimes quarantine sort of setup.

What would you do? Or something different?

I have a Tropiquarium 55 - it's probably 20 years old. It's got a single 15w T8 tube in and I remember it growing basic stems really well with that. It's currently growing algae - I'm guessing that may be related to the fact that tube (along with the tank) has been sat in a shed 5+ years and the tube probably wasn't changed out for a few years before that.

Or Aquael do a LED retrofit option: Leddy Tube RETROFIT - Aquael the 15W equivalent (8w) only seems to come in 'sunny' rather than 'plant' though approx £24 but seems to be stock issues.

Or I remove the hood and pop something like: Small Aquarium LED Lights for Sale - Allpondsolutions the tank is about 51cm so would need the 24w @ £22.50

I don't want to spend loads, it's planted but a spare tank, sometimes quarantine sort of setup.

Probably best to upgrade to something like this..
Amazon product ASIN B088BC4XV4

Hi
I don't know where you looked for T8 bulbs but £15 is insane.
I use T8 6500k bulbs from Lamp specs and it cost me £3 tops .BTW my bulbs are few years old too
Regards Konstantin

Hi
I don't know where you looked for T8 bulbs but £15 is insane.
I use T8 6500k bulbs from Lamp specs and it cost me £3 tops .BTW my bulbs are few years old too
Regards Konstantin
I was looking at aquarium specific ones - probably the same thing in branded packaging!

I was looking at aquarium specific ones - probably the same thing in branded packaging!
Yeah if you decide to stick with the T8, definitely go for lampspecs/non aquarium ones, you'll save a packet

I have used the APS PLED led and it's a good budget light, grew plants fine, it's doesn't dim etc but plugged into a timer it works fine.

The product description sounds good, but the reviews aren't very positive!
Well in my defense I did say " like that" ...

;)

As a spare or qt unless you find a pressing need for high tech or " effects" a replacement tube should be fine .

I think I might just go for the replacement for now at those prices. Is there any difference between them other than the brand name stamped on? T8 1 Inch Diameter

Hi
I am using T8,T5 and PL-L 6500K bulbs on all my tanks for years.They grow plants as good as the branded ones and in some cases better.
Some branded ones have some purple, blue or similar hues to them sometimes that makes difference in viewing the fish but plants don't care tbh (and Im tight so £2 a pop it is for me atm ;) )
Regards Konstantin

Back