• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 as Opposed to T8

wordy

Seedling
Don't know if anyone could help but I've got a question about the lighting differences of T5 & T8. If the standard WPG rule applies to T8 lighting what would the equvilent be for T5? For instance if I I've got a 32Gal tank and I put a 48W T5 setup on there what would the equvilent be for T8?

I'm basically wanting to upgrade my lighting and want to know if I need 1 or 2 Hagen Glo Light T5HO.

Thanks

wpg doesnt apply to t8's anyways, its the old t12's i think, i dont really pay much attention to wpg, you dont need loads of light to grow plants successfully.

WPG for T5 & T8 are the same - its all down the intensity or brightness of the light, the wattage is the same T8 - 54 watt or T5 - 54 watt - you can stare at a T8 for a period of time, try staring at a T5 for the same time period and after a short period of time you will see star infront of your eye's.

Paul

Thanks for the replys, on to my next question now.

If I were to get 2 of the Hagen Glo T5HO lights I'd have a total of 96w, which would be exactly 3WPG(medium high). Would that amount of light need CO2 to keep the algae away, also my filter has x6 turnerover per hour?

Thanks again.

wordy said:
If I were to get 2 of the Hagen Glo T5HO lights I'd have a total of 96w, which would be exactly 3WPG(medium high). Would that amount of light need CO2 to keep the algae away
That would be a BIG YES. Personally I'd go for one tube with CO2 and your current filter may be OK, or if not a small powerhead could be added. This setup should grow all plants. With 2 HOT5 tubes you are getting an equivalent of about 5WPG of T8 lighting which IMHO is asking for trouble. I've recently ditched my T5 lighting setup in favour of good old T8's and am getting much better looking plants.

James

I have a 215 ltr or 47 gallon tank, initially the tank had 96 watts all T8 and up grade the lighting to 156 watts all T5. The things to remember when increasing your lighting is to achieve a balance between lighting / Fertz / Co2.

* More light means more fertz / co2 if you dont you are asking for trouble "ALGAE" - so be careful.

Regards
Paul.

JamesC said:
wordy said:
If I were to get 2 of the Hagen Glo T5HO lights I'd have a total of 96w, which would be exactly 3WPG(medium high). Would that amount of light need CO2 to keep the algae away
That would be a BIG YES. Personally I'd go for one tube with CO2 and your current filter may be OK, or if not a small powerhead could be added. This setup should grow all plants. With 2 HOT5 tubes you are getting an equivalent of about 5WPG of T8 lighting which IMHO is asking for trouble. I've recently ditched my T5 lighting setup in favour of good old T8's and am getting much better looking plants.

James

How did you work out/what is the calculation for T5 for wpg?

Thanks

wordy said:
How did you work out/what is the calculation for T5 for wpg?
Just a guess as there is no real way to compare them as they are different in that T5's have a higher intensity. The WPG rule was initially based on T12's but became popular when T8's were the normal lighting to use, so became the standard. Generally with T8's the rule worked fairly well for medium sized tanks. But T5's threw the rule into disarray due to it's much higher intensity levels so comparing the two is difficult. As a very generalised guide I go by 1WPG of T5 equals 1.5 to 2.0 WPG of T8.

Don't get caught in the idea of more light is better, as it's not. 1.5WPG of T5 is a nice easy figure to grow plants at. This equates roughly to about 2.0 to 2.5 WPG of T8.

These are just the way I do it, others may have different viewpoints.
James

Back