• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Syngonanthus Belem tips yellowing

Neocaridina

Seedling
I have crypts, anubias, rotala, alternanthera, hydrocotyle, Monte Carlo (growing but not thriving) and blyxa growing in this tank. No CO2, moderate lighting, ph 6 to 6.4. Dosing with Aquagreen Dinosaur pee and have put clumps of Dino dung at the base of the Syngonanthus.
The Syng are still surviving but the tips are persistently pale yellow and not growing.
I guess this is iron deficiency? If so, how do you guys replace that? I have iron chelates but not sure if I put a teaspoon in a litre of tank water and put drops in, or stir the powder into the tank?
Any tips on dosage and how you prepare the powder would be great.
Thanks.

The Syng are still surviving but the tips are persistently pale yellow and not growing.

This plant in aqaurium is mainly descibed as growing best in soft water with high CO² concentration, strong lighting and a balanced nutrient supply.

Failing the first 2 or maybe 3, i guess it's pretty tough to diagnose and get it to go with balanced nutrient supply only.

Ok maybe a bad choice of plant. GH is around 3. Lighting was strong enough to grow GSA and BBA though I cannot tell you actual intensity. I have cut back on duration of the lighting to 6 hours. True I don’t have CO2 in the tank. I was going to try the iron chelates as a last resort. Given that the rest of the others seem to be ok, I thought maybe Syngonanthus was perhaps needing most iron. If it does not work with the iron, I’ll pull them out.
Anyway, how DO you guys use the iron chelates powder?

Anyway, how DO you guys use the iron chelates powder?

Welcome to the Green side. Many people on this site by chelated iron and chelated other trace metals from horticultural suppliers. I use Solufeed products, don't know if they are available in Australia.

How do I use them. They come for instance as 13Fe EDTA ie 13% by weight is iron therefore 100g of product contains 13g of iron.
People typically dose at 0.1 to 0.2 ppm per gallon.

Conversion numbers 1000mg in 1g

Conversion numbers 1000mg in 1g
Sorry got timed out, nighbour at the door got his cancer results.
1mg per litre is 1part per million (ppm) I Imp Gal is 4.546091879 litrs. I use a mix of 8.5g of 13EDTA and 11.0g of TEMag (now replaced with a better product also both are available as potassium salts which are better than sodium salts. I have what I have.

I take the 8.5g and the 11.0g and dissolve in rainwater (could use RO) and dilute to 5l [Stock Solution A]
I then take 500ml of Stock Sol A and dilute to 5l [Stock solution B] 10ml of B per gal yields 0.1ppm iron and a list of trace elements at 0.010ppm.

This way errors in weighing and measuring are reduced.

The values you will use will depend on the analysis of the product that you buy. Buying powders is expensive in the short term but cheap in the long term especially if you are in the hobby for life and/or have big tanks.

Hope that this as been of use.

Hi all,
Buying powders is expensive in the short term but cheap in the long term especially if you are in the hobby for life and/or have big tanks.
That is the real advantage, you aren't paying for some <"very expensive water">. Once a potassium (K+) ion is in solution it is the same as every other K+ ion, it doesn't know <"which compound"> it came from.
This way errors in weighing and measuring are reduced.
That is what I do as well, I don't like working <"with small weights or volumes">. The other advantage with working larger volumes of dilute salts is that you can use kitchen scales and the assumption that one litre (1000 mL) of "water" weighs one kilogram (1000 g).

cheers Darrel

Thank you both of you for the replies. I have the iron chelates from Aquagreen and will sit down and do some calculations and work on following your technique @Oldguy ...I hope your neighbour is ok....

I just noticed on the Aquagreen website that phosphate is not added to the dinosaur pee, but is meant to be in the dinosaur dung, which is comprised of clay and fish blood and bone. Firstly, I was thinking that this method is a bit hard to quantify without testing the aquarium water. Secondly, I was thinking that the permeability of clays is so slow that this could prevent adequate fertilisation. Thirdly, I realised that clay molecules have lots of hydrogen bonds and are likely to firstly polarise any phosphate, which would probably increase their hydrogen bonding with the oxides present in clay minerals. To me, it seems rather illogical adding calcium phosphate minerals to clay as a form of water fertilisation in planted tanks. I don't mind if someone wants to jump in and correct me on this.
One of the symptoms of phosphate deficiency can be the lack of apical growth. The dinosaur pee includes iron.

Back