• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Symptoms of plant adaption to higher CO2?

sWozzAres

I have an Echinodorus Osirus. From the shop, leaf length compared to stem was about 30%/70% respectively. It's been running for 2 weeks in my new high light+co2 setup. The new leaves that have appeared are more like 60/40 and double the size, this is considerably different. Every leaf has had curly edges, every third leaf appears with a few holes in it.

The older leaves show no sign of deficiency, all leaves pearl, the new ones are very red fading to green after a week or so. It's chucking out a new leaf every 36 hours or so. The holes in new leaves are already there once the leaf unfurls, there is no sign of deficiency around the holes, no spitting out o2 from the hole edge, no yellowing etc One of the older leaves did seem to bend at leaf/stem junction and fall off.

I've tried to identify a nutrient deficiency, been increasing NPK, traces, GH and CO2 but nothing seems to fix it so I am wondering if this is simply that the plant hasn't adapted to it's new environment yet and is in effect growing too fast! Is this possible?

look at the flow.
if you are sure the co2 and nutes are at the level required by the given lighting, then flow is all that is left to cause issues.

have you tried measuring co2 levels in different parts of the tank?

The plant has been in the tank 5 weeks, it's now ginormous, it hit the surface last week and shows no sign of stopping it's relentless march toward consuming my tank. It won't be long before it starts pushing open the tank lid and grabbing my pets! :rolleyes:

Now apparently I can yank off, sorry trim the larger leaves and it will get confused and think it's a bonsai tree. However, I don't understand how to correctly implement this methodology, the larger leaves are the new ones so I can't keep removing them.

If anyone knows a strategy for maintaining this "plant", please help....I like my pets

Back