• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sylvania Grolux T8

Yep, I've used them for years and love em. Not everybody's taste though. These Grolux produce loads of blue and red light but virtually no green light and for this reason the kelvin rating is next to meaningless. Colour wise they are quite pinkish. By themselves they are a bit too much but blended in with other tubes they work very well.

James

i know i have a Growlux T5 but its the same thing.

on my tank i have 2 white (osram skywhites) T8's
and a Grolux T5 (pink colour) and a bluey colour osram T5 (think it mihgt be an 880 but not sure)

but the mish mash of tubes produce a really nice colour, i love it. :D

Can I ask question about Grolux lights too?

I have a choice of T8s for my Juwel Rio 125,

1. Phillips Delux Pro 96 Daylight + Sylvania GroLux
2. Phillips Delux Pro 96 Daylight + Interpet Triplus (I got it at a bargain price ;) )
3. TriPlus + Sylvania GroLux

The GroLux doesn't look as if it gives as much light as the other two, but is this just an illusion?

I prefer the colour rendition with a GroLux in the mix especially as I have H. Erythrostigma and H. Socolofi which really look gorgeous when the GroLux is in the mix, but which mix is better for the plants?

ETA Juwel Rio 125, 2xT8s, planted but everything still growing in, liquid carbon, no CO2, James' All in One Solution - the aim is to stay low tech.

TIA

Polly said:
The GroLux doesn't look as if it gives as much light as the other two, but is this just an illusion?

You answered your own question ;) It is an illusion.

Pink lights look less bright to the human eye but will more than likely produce similar 'actual' light. Humans see white/Green light better.

This is why I question the reasoning behind all the household spirals/dual bends that are comonly sold in the UK being 2700K!!! This is the reason the unknowing say that 'energy efficient lights' aren't as bright as the incandescent ones they are replacing :)

AC

Great! So I can use a GroLux with the others and enjoy my fish, knowing that the plants are getting enough light to grow well :D

Just have to find the combination I like best :D

Regarding the energy efficient lights, I must confess I find them very depressing and dim. OH uses them in his workshop and often comes in here with a bad headache, so I have wondered if they are to blame. I've suggested using strip fluorescents as they'd give him more light to work with - he could use one of my spares :D

Thanks for putting my mind at rest :thumbup:

Regarding the energy efficient lights, I must confess I find them very depressing and dim. OH uses them in his workshop and often comes in here with a bad headache, so I have wondered if they are to blame. I've suggested using strip fluorescents as they'd give him more light to work with - he could use one of my spares

I don't use the ones from the shops. I bought 10 6500K ones off ebay. They are much brighter than the 2700K ones. The usual mess up by UK. lol. US tends to sell in higher K ratings anyway!!!

AC

So I need to get energy efficient bulbs from the US ? or do they sell them over here? Will check ebay ;)

The usual mess up by UK. lol.

Ah now, ain't that the truth. :crazy: It's true - the FAT always floats :silent:

Thanks for that :D

That is an excellent site :thumbup: . I've been using spiral daylight bulbs above my dart frog vivs for a few years and they've cost me a lot more than that!!!....Think I'll be buying a good few off them, I like the fact that they do two part compact spirals that allow you to just change the tube part...nice one :D

Daylight bulbs are definatley the way to go, much better than the dim horrible yellow energy saving ones you get in the likes of tesco and elsewhere ;)

Back