• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Swords looking very sorry for themselves.

image.jpg

All my Amazon swords are looking like this. Could it be a nutrient deficiency? I bought some root tabs And if they will help, would I remove all the bad leaves and then place the tabs under the roots?

Just push a root tab deep into the substrate somewhere near the plant, if its within a few inches of the plant it will be fine. The swords root structure will be vast so will soon find the nutrients.
Remove the really badly decomposing leaves as close to the substrate as you can. Be warned, things might get worse before they get better.

Might also be an idea to lower the light intensity a bit if that's possible, will take a bit of stress off them whilst they recover.

Last edited:
How long has this sword been planted? Looks a little bit like the wilted leaves are round, which makes me think its emerse grown leaves that the plant is just getting rid of. The new leaves will be coming from the center of the plant and be more elongated. If those look shabby I would be more concerned :)

How long has this sword been planted? Looks a little bit like the wilted leaves are round, which makes me think its emerse grown leaves that the plant is just getting rid of. The new leaves will be coming from the center of the plant and be more elongated. If those look shabby I would be more concerned :)
I’ve had them in the tank for about 10 weeks and they are huge compared to when I bought them. The only thing I have changed is I’ve removed the 2 t8 tubes and replaced with a nicrew skyLED plus
image.jpg

That’s the entire plant. The longer bigger leaves are not looking to good either

The only thing I have changed is I’ve removed the 2 t8 tubes and replaced with a nicrew skyLED plus
I'll wager this little rascal had a helping hand in causing some of the problems.

Could well be low phosphate levels too going off the green spot algae on the leaves but it's also on the glass which points the finger again at to much light.

Are you still dosing 25ml tnc complete a day? If so that would be light on phosphate.

Hi all,

Do you have a Bristlenose (Ancistrus sp.) Plec?

Also what do the new leaves look like? Are they very pale green?

cheers Darrel
No I’ve got a L134. Yeah I think the new leaves are quite pale.
I'll wager this little rascal had a helping hand in causing some of the problems.

Could well be low phosphate levels too going off the green spot algae on the leaves but it's also on the glass which points the finger again at to much light.

Are you still dosing 25ml tnc complete a day? If so that would be light on phosphate.
yeah still dosing the tnc. I’ll reduce the light and place the root tabs and remove The bad leaves and cross my fingers.

Hi all,
I’ve got a L134
I think it is probably grazing on the leaves, <"Peckoltia compta"> is quite omnivorous and <"loricariids really like Echinodorus">. You could try feeding courgette? and see if that helps.
Yeah I think the new leaves are quite pale.
Because you live in a hard water area (my mum was <"born in Chalk">) iron (Fe) deficiency is quite likely <"and causes chlorotic new leaves">.

cheers Darrel

Back