• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sword Not Doing So Well

jameson_uk

I had got things quite stable in the tank and everything has been growing quite well and algae has been under control.

I have a sword however which seems to be getting worse but I haven't been on top of maintenance for a few weeks to remove some of the poor leaves.

A plotted history here and you can see that in November 2017 it was tall and upright but now it is short and dying.
2016-10-29.jpg 2017-02-04.jpg 2017-06-21.jpg 2017-11-23.jpg MVIMG_20181116_135101.jpg
Some of the leaves that I will be removing over the weekend
MVIMG_20181116_135056.jpg MVIMG_20181116_135114.jpg MVIMG_20181116_135125.jpg

I have been using a roll your own fert (http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm) which until recently had looked to be doing OK at standard Tropica dosage. I have also put some root tabs in the sand near the sword to see if that helps.

Tank is low tech 180l with an Eheim Class 600. There are two spray bars covering the length of the tank at the rear (one is fed from filter and the other from a 500lph powerhead). Lighting is the Juwel Helialux for eight hours turned down to something like 70% and there is a pretty good covering of Frogbit to reduce this too. Water changes are generally 50% weekly.

The limnophila at the back behind the sword has been rampant and I recently hacked it right back. The frogbit is also rampant and I removed a good 50% recently.

Given swords are meant to be one of the easiest and hardiest plants I am concerned what I am doing wrong...

There are numerous other issues with some of the plants (a bit of BBA and a few pin holes in the Hygrophila) but they are nothing like as bad as the sword.

Kind of thinking this plant is beyond redemption but wanted to see what other think is the issue.

Kind of thinking this plant is beyond redemption
Swords are "" never"" beyond redemption:geek:
I''ve seen them grow back from far far far worse condition.
It kinda looks like damage by rasping, you got any pleco''s, oto''s or fish like that? If so start feeding them veggies.
I would try a bit more ferts.

Otos, nerites and amano shrimp. Only really see the amanos on there and then it is on the damaged bits

They could munch on them at night, go feed some cucumber, zuchini ot other veggies, might have to search for their preferences. And maybe leave it longer for a bit so it gets mushy, or try to blanch it.

I do put courgette in but have slipped a bit as work has meant I have been away more than normal.

I have been feeding a bit less recently so putting in veg more often can't hurt

Back