• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Swapping filters

Mudhead

Seedling
Hi all,

I've bought a new external filter in the view of replacing my internal one. Would it be best to; A, take all the media from my internal, put it in the external and run on the external or B, run the filters side by side for 'X' amount of time, allow the external to culture its own bacteria then remove the internal.

Cheers

I'd just transfer the media. I've done it several times from main tank external filter to holding tank internal filter and back again whilst in between scapes and it works well.
The denitrifying capacity of the mature media isn't changing just the container it's in.
If your new filter has a greater capacity and allows you to add more media that'll become inoculated as well.

Seeing as the external will be larger than the internal, you should be pretty well placed for space so would be best to put the old media in the new filter.

Back