• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

surface film

To all you ehiem friendly people ....

Do you place your ehiem where it doesn't have a conflict in flow ?

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Bit of an update from me, looks crude I know (but i'm just testing the waters before I commit to a permanent change - excuse the pun...)

SkimMesh_zps222e61a4.jpg

Bought the stainless mesh off ebay (£3) and cut a strip to fold round the head of the skim unit. Held in place with laggy band for test purposes. Did think it would affect the buoyancy of the floating head (which it does) so I have got the placement right by sliding the body of the unit up and down rear of tank until desired effect reached. I've a hooded tank ATM so evap not a consideration. Anyway, it works prefectly and i'd say completely safe for fish & shrimp :)

I think to fix permanently i'll get some black rigid plastic mesh of same guage and cut 4 small squares and superglue these directly over the opening slots of the head. That should have no or minimal impact on bouyancy. Anyway, here's to no more dead fish! ;)

I was just doing a water change and found a nail in amongst the hairgrass completely rusted up ...... This may or may not have something to do with the surface film I've been getting ,
I don't know how the bleedy thing has gotten in there . I honestly think someone's been spiteful and dropped it in .
No wonder I've lost a few fish and shrimp !!! Grrrr

Don't know if that is till of interest to anyone, but for some reason, I noticed that the surface film in my tank completely vanished once I started adding a pump at the bottom of the tank to add flow down there. Don't ask me why, but it worked for me!

Perhaps... more flow = better CO2 and nutrient availability for plants = healthy plants = less plant decay = plant decay/biofilm moved with the flow and filtered = less organic matter in the tank?

Reactions: tim
After finding another tetra in this skimmer this morning I decided to end this slaughter haha This is what I quickly mocked up , seems to work well and can easily be removed for cleaning
Thanks for the mesh mr big clown ;)

uzytyre3.jpg
ejapejev.jpg
4uhy5aze.jpg
na7y8apu.jpg

Attachments

• uzytyre3.jpg
    uzytyre3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
  • ejapejev.jpg
    ejapejev.jpg