• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Surface film, agitation & co2...

andusbeckus

After going low tech I've got the bug again and getting my pressurised co2 kit back out!

I had been getting surface film but managed to get rid of that with good surface agitation.

Question is how do I keep surface film gone without sending all my co2 straight back out of the surface?

I want to keep it looking good also so don't want any extra bulky equipment in there.

Air stone after CO2 has gone off does it for me.

CO2 goes off at 22:00, lights off at 23:00 and air stone/air wall on at 22:45 until 2am. Keeps the surface spotless. Also acts as a reminder in my lounge when watching TV, that one should really be thinking about going to bed....

I have a air curtain tube, stuck to the rear of the tank just above the substrate that does the job. Can't be normally seen as covered in plants.

Surface film is build up protiene, oils and bacterial population living off it.. If it doesn't come diectly from the plants secreting it due to the high metabolisme, it most likely is from decaying plant debri on the substrate, or melting plantleaves still in the plants or in your filter. So cleaning out melting plant debri is a pre. Shutting off the flow for a few minutes and spraying the surface with some H2O2 you will see it go away.. But it might just get back.. :)

In my case i got a lot of surface vegitation and also stagnant pockets, so for me surface agitation doesn't work for the whole surface. I have it occasinaly building up in those stagnant surface pockets.. :)

Air stone after CO2 has gone off does it for me.

CO2 goes off at 22:00, lights off at 23:00 and air stone/air wall on at 22:45 until 2am. Keeps the surface spotless. Also acts as a reminder in my lounge when watching TV, that one should really be thinking about going to bed....

I have a air curtain tube, stuck to the rear of the tank just above the substrate that does the job. Can't be normally seen as covered in plants.

So I went with an airstone and it worked great! The only problem is the bubbles popping is splashing my Chihiros light and leaving watermarks all over it undermeath.

Back