• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superfish Scaper Tanks

jameson_uk

Just noticed these tanks (45/60/90 cm) pop up and wondered if anyone has seen these in the flesh?
Seem reasonable value and comes with an LED light, HOB, foam underlay, background foil and some Columbo ferts / carbon (the 45cm seems to be ~ £110).
They are apparently made of "Crystal Clear" glass 🤔 Not sure if this is just glass you can see through :angelic: or whether this is actually good low iron stuff.
The LED has a D energy rating which seems a bit odd but it does give a PAR rating.

I've not seen one of these in the flesh but used to sell a lot of superfish tanks when I was in the shop and unless things have changed since then I'd expect it to be a good build quality and reliable. They were very well made and no one seemed to have any problems with their products.

Just taken a look at these tanks (online) and I think they look quite good!

I bought a 45 a couple of weeks ago as a holding tank for fish and plants. The LED lighting appears to be very good, it produces a lot of light, I'd say as much as my Twinstar 600EA (obviously different sized light units) - some Ambulia / Limnophila I transferred across to the tank is a lot bushier than its growing in my Twinstar-lit tank. The glass does appear to be good quality low iron stuff. The hang-on filter is a bit basic, but does the job, although I'll probably end up changing the filter media for something different. Maidenhead Aquatics have them on sale at the moment and are 10% cheaper than Pro-Shrimp.

My Superfish Scaper 90. 10 days old

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,301
I am indeed really happy with this tank, Have replaced the filter for a SF eco 120 filter to generate more flow. Light is spot on as you can see on he growth of the plants.

I am indeed really happy with this tank, Have replaced the filter for a SF eco 120 filter to generate more flow. Light is spot on as you can see on he growth of the plants.
I would probably not use the filter either but I am interested in whether it could be repurposed for another tank I have.
It is hard to tell from photos as to whether you could use with filter without using their filter cartridges, does this look possible or perhaps even filling the cartridges with your own media?

With a bit of Diy you can use different media, I am more flexible with the nano external though

Hi all,
whether you could use with filter without using their filter cartridges
I don't know with these, the the <"Eheim Liberty HoB filters"> come with a set of different foam filter cartridges that you are meant to replace regularly etc. I just took them out, put a foam block on the filter intake and <"filled the body up with sintered glass rings">.

This was the first foam I DIYed, but I used 30ppi foam and I got fed up with cleaning it fairly quickly.

eheim_hob_sponge-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

I don't know with these, the the "> come with a set of different foam filter cartridges that you are meant to replace regularly etc. I Justin took them out, put a foam block on the filter intake

These cartridges look to be part of the plumbing inside the filter. I can't quite work it out but it looks like the inlet pipework comes up to the top of the HOB and is then meant to go into the cartridges. I presume other HOBs have water enter the chamber at the bottom.

Last edited:
I've seen these tanks popup also and taken an interest in them because overall i've never been disappointed by the quality of SF (considering the price). Considering their price tags i'm very tempted, perhaps as farm tank or holding tank. Hard to find much information about them or good pictures on the internet. Don't think they're dimmable but maybe SF will provide a seperate dimmer in the future? I know they have them for the retroLED bars.

@Maurits, would you happen to have more pictures of the tank/hardware itself?

Don't think they're dimmable but maybe SF will provide a seperate dimmer in the future? I know they have them for the retroLED bars.

I emailed Pro-Shrimp and they contacted SF and
The item that is needed to control the scapers light is the SUPERFISH RETRO LED PLUS CONTROLLER A4020605 £24.99
So there is a controller already but ISTR that some other similar lights (AquaEl?) are wired in such a way that you can't use a standard external timer

Strange, on the maidenhead a site it say. "
  • Dimmable LED light, operated with or finger touch

@jameson_uk Thank you for sharing that knowledge, that's good news actually, i think i might pick up one now! also, as @AverageWhiteBloke just posted, the guy in the video states (around 4:55) that the packaging says that the lighting is suitable to use with a timer.

The only downside with the lighting, i think, is that the brand SF is stated so obviously on the clear stands of the lighting fixture.

Maybe it means to light is dimmable....if you buy an extra dimming kit (not supplied)

Back