• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superfish Filter Floss Warning!!!

MoFish

Hi everyone,

Was watching the new MJ Aquascaping video "I ALMOST GAVE UP ON THIS AQUASCAPE..." on youtube and saw he had a bit of disaster with his shrimp with nearly all of them dying after he replaced the filter floss in his filter. He didn't mention the brand of filter floss in the video but reading the comments it seems he was using the superfish brand. In addition, there seems to be a quite a few comments on there sharing the same experience with the same brand. This does seem to be a one off issue related to a certain batch but I'm not sure how you can distinguish the bad batch from the good.

Hi all,

Interesting, I'm not a <"filter floss fan">, but I wonder if it had a flame retardant coating or similar? I think it is 100% nylon?

cheers Darrel
I tend to use it before the bio media in my filters, they capture quite a lot of fines to be fair.

Not sure on production process but I think it's polyester fibers and the flame resistance property is part of its molecular structure instead of a coating.

I watched the video, but not read the comments. Probably worth noting more generally about washing products.

Back