• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions please; Easy low tech TALL stem plants

Simmo

Hi Folks,
I’d like some additional plant mass for my 70cm deep low tech. Fast growing, tall, easy stem plants. Lighting is Juwel Helialux LED, Tropica soil and TNC complete daily.
I have Vallis, Echinodorous and have tried and failed with planted hornwort (too delicate for the flow possibly) and some red thing that cost too much and died...
Appreciate some suggestions.
Cheers

I'd vote for floating plants (Dwarf water lettuce, Red root floaters, Amazon frogbit) - they have unlimited access to CO2 and so will grow rapidly low tech, and give high levels of additional plant mass easily. They are also very easy to thin out as required, and fish generally love the additional cover.

One plant I remember that I've been wanting to give a go again after probably not growing it for 20 years, is hygrophila polysperma roseanervig. It was pretty much bomb proof, even survived with plant munching species and was grown under shop t8 lighting where it developed really nice red and white colours. I don't know why it's not more popular tbh.
If you'd like a thug then potamogeton gayi is a new favourite. I got some from Wookii for a friend and tempted to nick abit back, even though it takes some controlling.

Hi all,
Hygrophila difformis or polysperma are easy going plants you could try.
Fast growing, tall, easy stem plants.
Another similar one <"Hygrophila corymbosa?">.
I'd vote for floating plants (Dwarf water lettuce, Red root floaters, Amazon frogbit) - they have unlimited access to CO2 and so will grow rapidly low tech, and give high levels of additional plant mass easily. They are also very easy to thin out as required, and fish generally love the additional cover.
Definitely have a <"floating plant">, for all the reasons @Wookii gives.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Chaps, some names for me to go on. I should have explained better, I only mentioned the big/tall plants I have not all the species so I do have frogbit (but another floater would be good 👍) and various crypts and epiphytes etc too. What I’d like is fast growers that will grow from substrate to surface or thereabouts

Hi
+1 for Hygrophila Polisperma varieties
Also good options are:
Limnophila heterophylla
Pogostemon Quadrifolius (my favourite)
Regards Konstantin

Limnophila sessiliflora does well for me in low tech, very soft water.

Ian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
Back